Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Electronics Accumulator

Magnavox CT 306 chassis

I found this one at an estate sale, priced too high. Came back on the last day of the sale and got it for $25 - still really too high considering how many parts are missing, but, I was rolling the dice on the picture tube. It's a combo console - originally containing a radio and a record changer, but, as you can see, all those parts are missing, as is the speaker. The metal back for the TV was still present, however. Why drag home a console missing half the parts? If you figure that out, let me know. I can't help myself sometimes.

Still, the cabinet is quite solid, and in fair condition. Finish isn't too worn. I might be able to come up with something else to mount in there, along with the TV, I have some radio/tuner chassis from other things, etc - could be a fun project.

The TV itself, however, is the part of most interest to me. It's a CT 306 chassis set, from 1952. I'll have to track down the schematic - it's in Sams 161-4. The chassis is dirty, but not corroded or rusted, no evidence of mice or other damage. It's missing several tubes, including the 1B3 - and oddly enough it's plate cap is also missing, the wire cut. Flyback is dusty but no evidence of burns or arcing. The CRT appears to have been replaced at some point, as it's a GE branded 17BP4B, and is aluminized. All the knobs are present, as is the metal back cover. There is no cage over the high voltage - but I don't know if there ever was. I don't see how it would mount, and from the dust pattern, it's been open like this for a very long time - probably while still in service. Power transformer type set, fairly simple - appears to be of reasonable quality without being overcomplicated. Should be fairly easy to get running again, even if the cabinet is slightly... obnoxious, being so huge with all that empty space at the moment. I really wish this were just a table model set, but, whatever. It's been a while since I rebuilt a TV from this era, and this one looks to be a good, simple project.

And, proving that sometimes it's worth the gamble - I hooked up my tester and checked out the CRT. After letting it run on just the proper 6.3v for five minutes, the emission is firmly in the green, with plenty of cutoff. Should produce a solid picture.

-Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnavox_combo1.jpg (114.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg magnavox_combo_chassis.jpg (120.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg magnavox_combo_crt_test.jpg (99.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:34 PM
electronics packrat

The radio chassis and changers for that pop up on ebay every now and then so making it a complete combo again won't be too hard to do.