Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 PM
2 many toys,Not enough $$

Picture tube does not display full picture,Crackle from back

I have a '53 Packard Bell 2723 that works well,But it does not show the complete picture. What I mean is, It cuts off corners and sides. I've tried adjusting everything I can see with no avail. What else can I do?
Also,I noticed a crackle from the HV cage and twice now its popped and the screen flickered and everything went back to normal. What could cause that also?
Thanks guys.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

For the first problem, check to make sure the ion trap (if this set uses one) is adjusted properly, and also check that the yoke is in the right place. How is the plastic around the yoke holding up? The stuff they used on a lot of them has basically turned to dust. That can make it difficult to have the yoke sitting just where it should. Fixable with some creativity.

The crackle is a high voltage arc, most likely. First, make sure everything inside the cage is clean. (no dust) If that doesn't help, there must be someplace in there where a wire or other conducter is too close to something else. If it persists you can (carefully) operate the set with the cage open, in a darkened room, and narrow down where the spark is jumping.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Needless to say, you should not play a TV for long periods when it's sparking or making crackling sounds. A short circuit won't heal itself. More likely, it could get worse and/or damage other parts of the set.

High voltage is dangerous. If you aren't experienced in TV repair, I'd hand the set over to someone who is.

Phil
Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Mark

Carbon tracking can also form with an arcing HV, that can cause serious damage that is hard to fix. I had a Zenith from '72 (my 6 year old daughters tv) do it and I had to replace the HV rect. tube socket and shield and it was about to take out the fly. It's all good now but if I would have waited any longer...RIP Zenith.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 AM
2 many toys,Not enough $$

I looked for the arc and didn't see anything but when I was looking,it crackled and then POP! Set appeared dead. Turned it off then back on 5 minutes later,worked fine once I seen it still worked I shut it off and unplugged it.
Audiokarma