Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Great photos! Those antennas may not be up much longer, judging from condition.

I think that the 4 stacked antennas are "Double Vee" type, which were broadband, covering both VHF and UHF. I have seen these in two lengths, a "short" version (shown) and a longer version, with the front Vee about the same distance ahead of the mast. The angle of the vees was adjustable, with the wide angle position marked "VHF" and the narrow angle position marked "UHF" on the ones that I have seen. Could the Yagi have been for FM, perhaps?

jr
Based on the available channels, the yagi is ch 8 (only local VHF channel) and the vee must certainly be for UHF......great info thanks!

26KC20- Thanks for the photo. I will post a picture of the Finco antenna truck, I have an old advert from 1963. Maybe we need to go into business since everybody forgot how to make a truly good VHF antenna. I was really bummed when CM discontinued crossfires!

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 07-02-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Making a Finco 400 was not difficult but it is BIG! From what I have learned, there was a smaller version, the 200. It was half the antenna. It seems the 400 is a stacked set of 200's. It is very directional. What is good about it is although big(!) it does not present a large wind load. My VU-937 SR Wade was a major "dancer" on the roof during storms. It was not a real performer. A CM3671 outperforms it. The VIP-307 is great for VHF. It's the one under the CM4251. This photo was taken after a tree came down on the house.
Patent #s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4251 house.jpg (55.2 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by Zenith26kc20; 07-02-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Left out patent numbers
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Based on the available channels, the yagi is ch 8 (only local VHF channel) and the vee must certainly be for UHF.
If that Yagi is indeed cut for ch 8 (and compared to the size of the mast and rotator, that seems reasonable) then the antennas in 4 stack of double Vees are much smaller than the UHF/VHF models that I have seen, and most likely for broadband UHF coverage only. Fun thread!

jr

Add: One of my favorite UHF only antennas for suburban use is the "bow-tie" style corner reflector, which was used in the earliest days of UHF and still useful on my roof for the local DTV channels. Note: Western Scrub Jay for scale. (about 11" tall, including tail)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1160.jpg (79.7 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-02-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add Corner reflector pix
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Since the advent of cable tv, the abudance of antenna's "ain't what it used to be". I always enjoyed road trips as a kid and seeing what was used in other areas. I remember what the Detroit area was like before subscribed service came along and DX'ing. Installed lots of antennas too, mostly Winegards. I had a small Zenith(Jerrold?) antenna on a rotor that would really outperform for it's size with it's staggerd elements.

I glad I'm not the only one....I guess it's not a sickness after all!