Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Where the devil does one FIND vintage washers and dryers? With the price of scrap metal, most of them I imagine went to the recycler, as I haven't seen one for sale in like.....ever.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

The turquoise set were given to me by a friend. I do have other vintage washers and dryers from the 50's and 60's, that I've gotten on ebay or craigslist. You can still find them. Just need to look. There was, and maybe a set just like my turquoise set, even same color, on craigslist in Las Vegas.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Wow, I'd get this in a minute if I didn't have a gas dryer.....

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/app/3991368553.html

Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Those are some impressive laundry machines. My theory about the cause of the motors going bad in newer machines is that they use shielded bearings rather than sealed, lots of opportunities for crap to get in there and seize them up. My new hand truck has shielded wheel bearings which have been subject to complaints, so I plan to have the bearings upgraded before I even put the wheels on. It was on sale, 40% off, so I can't complain. Not only that, it has a 1000-pound capacity and is in about the same shade of blue as the Mercury Lynx I want.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 PM
electronics packrat

That Hamilton dryer looks a lot like the Bendix "Home Laundry" Washer/dryer I have in storage in the old mobile home I have. It washes and dries in the same machine. It dates from the 40's.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
Where the devil does one FIND vintage washers and dryers? With the price of scrap metal, most of them I imagine went to the recycler, as I haven't seen one for sale in like.....ever.
I suppose you could find one @ salvation Army if someone brought one in
Old 09-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Administrator

I've been on the lookout. Only thing I've seen is an avocado green early 70s "Lady Kenmore". The wife would have never approved
Old 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Kamakiri: I would have picked up that Lady K set. I'm a big Kenmore fan.

Just a quick look on craigslist in your area and I found this Maytag Set. The Washer is a bit newer from the 70's, but the dryer is from the 60's.
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/app/4070756029.html

Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Oh, for the love of all that is holy. I want it

Problem is, those things have a very low wife approval factor. Though I do most of the laundry, she does her stuff because it needs "special care"

The 1953 Norge in the kitchen was here when we met, so that was accepted as part of the terms of our relationship . Getting a washer and dryer means I'd have to displace something else.....which would be the 1947 Westinghouse fridge and the 1938 GE fridge....or TVs.

*sigh*
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post
Kamakiri: I would have picked up that Lady K set. I'm a big Kenmore fan.

Just a quick look on craigslist in your area and I found this Maytag Set. The Washer is a bit newer from the 70's, but the dryer is from the 60's.
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/app/4070756029.html

Those old Maytags, still used a standing pilot, on their gas dryers.
Whirlpool and Kenmore had electric ignition, from the mid 50's and it was trouble free.
Audiokarma
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryford View Post
Since I love vintage appliances, I figured I would ad to this thread.
Here is my washer and dryer. They are 1963 Lady Kenmore(50 years). As you can see they are in turquoise. Both work great. Have had to replace the pump and a valve in the washer.

My everyday fridge is a 1949 Hotpoint. Had to put a new gasket on it, as well as rewire it. Ended up having it repainted. It was originally white. Works great, and has the second door for the freezer. Haven't checked to see how much energy it uses.

As far as tv's, I only have 2 flat screens. One is in a cabinet in the kitchen. My partner likes to watch tv while he cooks. The second one is hanging on the wall under the backyard patio. It is a 42" and has been out there for 3 years now. No issues yet(knock on wood). It does good with the extreme heat here in Arizona.
I have other vintage appliances as well. A 1941 O'keefe and Merrit gas stove, 1955 Hotpoint dishwasher(only appliance that currently doesn't work), 1963 Hotpoint refrigerator in turquoise(used as a secondary fridge) and a mid 60's G.E. Americana fridge in coppertone brown. That is under the back patio used for soda, beer, and other drinks.
I remember we had a "Lady Kenmore" drier like that one but it was made in 1966.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

I have a 1938 Frigidare that still works, my grandfather got it at the same time my mother was born.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Countryford: When my parents moved to a new house in 1966 my grandfather gave them a set of GE appliances; fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washer, dryer; all in that copper brown. They didn't need the stove because there was already an early 50's GE white pushbutton one there. They still have the fridge in their basement.

I think it's worth pointing out that many of the places that sold TV's also sold appliances too. Especially in small towns. And, especially if they sold GE, Westinghouse, RCA, Philco, or Admiral.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I remember we had a "Lady Kenmore" drier like that one but it was made in 1966.
Appliances would come out with a new design each year. They would continue making that design even though a newer design was being made. Mine for instance are a 1963 model, yet were actually produced in 1965. I can't remember exactly how many years the made the 1963 model.

Quote:
Countryford: When my parents moved to a new house in 1966 my grandfather gave them a set of GE appliances; fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washer, dryer; all in that copper brown. They didn't need the stove because there was already an early 50's GE white pushbutton one there. They still have the fridge in their basement.
Would that be the Americana? This is a GE Americana that I use out on the back patio for drinks.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

No, theirs is a conventional freezer over fridge, but that's the color.

My grandmother had the sink top washer in that brown too.
Audiokarma