Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

So the part of the board that slides onto the pins of the tube. Can I check that in any way? I know this thing has some hours on it. Counter says 65000. And I just found out that left speaker was bad. Changed it out with another and is working now.

Last edited by pac.attack76; 03-22-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
Can I check that in any way?
Not easily (pics?)

The problem is that many of these develop a green coating inside the socket assy that becomes resistive (not measurable) over time and humidity.

Back when they were new, we'd order a new socket. When they got harder to find, I'd take them apart. They're usually held together with melted plastic posts. I would drill them out and carefully separate the front and back half.

if there was green (or worse) tracking between the Focus pin and the ground pins (there's a built in arc-gap in there), I would get a Dremel and carefully grind out the contamination like a dentist would remove tooth decay. Clean with IPA and dry well.

If it was repairable, I'd reassemble with a couple of well placed drops of RTV where the plastic posts were drilled out.

John
Old 03-22-2023, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCT View Post
Not easily (pics?)

The problem is that many of these develop a green coating inside the socket assy that becomes resistive (not measurable) over time and humidity.

Back when they were new, we'd order a new socket. When they got harder to find, I'd take them apart. They're usually held together with melted plastic posts. I would drill them out and carefully separate the front and back half.

if there was green (or worse) tracking between the Focus pin and the ground pins (there's a built in arc-gap in there), I would get a Dremel and carefully grind out the contamination like a dentist would remove tooth decay. Clean with IPA and dry well.

If it was repairable, I'd reassemble with a couple of well placed drops of RTV where the plastic posts were drilled out.

John
Oh nice work. You want pics of the screen or the socket? Probably the socket....

Last edited by pac.attack76; 04-19-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Oh nice work. You want pics of the screen or the socket? Probably the socket....
There's a chance I may have that socket. Give me a couple of days to check through my buried pile of old crap.

There's also a chance that the cover over the focus pin may be removable by unsnapping the little fingers that hold it together. If I can't find a socket, we'll try looking under the hood so to speak.

John
Old 03-23-2023, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
There's a chance I may have that socket. Give me a couple of days to check through my buried pile of old crap.

There's also a chance that the cover over the focus pin may be removable by unsnapping the little fingers that hold it together. If I can't find a socket, we'll try looking under the hood so to speak.

John
Ok thank you
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2023, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

John
Did u find it yet?
Old 03-27-2023, 08:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Did u find it yet?
I found one that the focus input tower is cracked/broken. Probably still usable but you'll have to RTV the focus lead to stay in place.

I have a friend who has a storage area that he was cleaning out, he may still have a board I can grab a socket from.

John
Old 03-27-2023, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I found one that the focus input tower is cracked/broken. Probably still usable but you'll have to RTV the focus lead to stay in place.

I have a friend who has a storage area that he was cleaning out, he may still have a board I can grab a socket from.

John
Ok, let me know. 👍
Old 04-06-2023, 06:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

John
How's the hunt going?
Old 04-17-2023, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Board came in today. I'm gonna try to get it put in later this week.
Audiokarma
Old 04-19-2023, 10:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Board came in today. I'm gonna try to get it put in later this week.
Good luck!

John
Old 04-19-2023, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ty
Old 05-27-2023, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

John, that socket u sent me is bigger and won't fit.Also, does anyone know if these are supposed to be touching and is it OK if the board is alittle dark around them?

Last edited by pac.attack76; 04-19-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2023, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
John, that socket u sent me is bigger and won't fit.Also, does anyone know if these are supposed to be touching and is it OK if the board is alittle dark around them?
Which one is the original one? If the board wiring is the same, use the whole board.

The dark is normal as long as it's not burned. There is high voltage on the socket and the static charge pulls in air borne particles like ciggy smoke.

John
Old 05-30-2023, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Which one is the original one? If the board wiring is the same, use the whole board.

The dark is normal as long as it's not burned. There is high voltage on the socket and the static charge pulls in air borne particles like ciggy smoke.

John
Even if I used the whole board, it wouldn't fit the tubes pins.
Audiokarma