Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lets celebrate the few reliable flat TVs!

As I have mentioned before, I work for an electronics recycler, so I get to see plenty of TVs come through for various reasons (store returns, damaged shipments, end-of-life commercial equipment, recalls, etc). There are several though, when I see them, no matter how beat up they look, I know if I plug them in, they will work. I just want to celebrate the few, proud examples of well-built flat screens.

-NEC LCD3210, LCD4000. Very well built LCD commercial-grade monitor. The video board is modular (slides in with thumb-screws for easy replacement, though I have never needed to replace one). Every time I get one, it works. Even if the screen is broken. I did get one that looked like the LCD plies had separated from heat or water damage or some other weird abuse, it still worked.

-Pioneer PDP-V501X PDP-V501 PDP-V401. Older Plasma monitors from 1998. While they aren't HD (heck they don't even have any digital inputs) they still have a nice picture. They are very well built, and I have never seen one of these dead either. I bought one of these for myself (PDP-V501X), and I have been using it for years with no issues. Who knows how many hours it had on it when I got it. It never retains images either. I might fall asleep and leave a DVD menu on for hours and it doesn't burn in.

-Maxent MX-42X3. While I get this model a lot, and it's always defective, I will give it props that it's always the same 30-cent capacitor that fails. And it's under a separate panel with just a few screws, so you don't even have to take the back off of the TV to get to it! Replace that one cap, and they keep plugging along for years.

I'll start with those 3.

We got in a few of the NEC LCD3210's today, and it made my day. All of them worked. I even broke down and bought one for myself. But that's what made me think of this thread. My friends and family are always asking me to recommend good, reliable TVs. I tell them all I ever see is junk, and if there are good TVs out there, they don't end up at the recycler, heh. But, I guess I do see a few good models here and there that I would recommend. What about you guys?