Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used Louis a couple years ago, nice work. But I was thinking that somebody tried calling him in the past year and his number was disconnected? When I had talked with him it sounded like he was running out of work.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
On Land

Fuji: The front of the set say SS Color because approximately a third of your set uses transistors. You have four transistors in the tuner and six more on the chassis operating the video IF strip, video amp, and two for AGC. The rest of the set (color, deflection, sound) runs on tubes. I guess they thought they had enough transistors in there to say it was Solid State Color (even though the actual color circuits are tubes).

That's also part of why they call it a Cool Chassis... far less tubes in there, so not as much heat being produced.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 PM
On Land

Looking at your tuner photos, it's rather odd to think that the tuner from your color roundie set says "made in taiwan"

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM
roundie not so n00b

Haha that sure was a derp moment for me. SS= solid state. I'm a whiz when it comes to computers but this kinda thing throws me for a loop.

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is kind of odd to see Made In Taiwan on the tuner in any roundie. I do know for a fact that Philco-Ford had Taiwanese-built sets in the 70s..and maybe earlier .My 1973 19" b/w Philco Ford was made in Taiwan and is a hybrid chassis. Quality set, regardless of where it was made.
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

That may just be the UHF tuner that is made in Taiwan. I am also very surprised to see it. I didn't know of anything made in Taiwan and sold in the USA before about 1973, and this set is late 60s to maybe 1970, right?

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-28-2011, 12:50 AM
On Land

He mentioned that the Philco tubes in there were date coded 1967, and, that model is listed in Sams 885... also 1967. My Philco roundie is from 68 or 69... cant remember which just now, but I will be interested to see if the tuner in mine is marked Taiwan.

I wouldn't suspect anything else in there being from Taiwan, but then ya never know!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:20 AM
sampson159

when my dad purchased our philco roundie it was 12/1966.the philco ford line had just been delivered the day before.spanky mcfarlane was in the store to promote.i have to say,the picture was outstanding.it was the brightest and sharpest in the store.of course,sun didnt sell a top of the line set such as zenith and rca.they did stock a few lower level,base models but their flagship was sylvania a few years later.our set also had tuner issues at the end of our ownership causing my dad to purchase a d-16 slide control sylvania.that set is still in operation at my brothers house.tuner was rebuilt by united tuner in the late 80s and a tripler was replaced.crt is still bright and sharp.now that was a set!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 PM
roundie not so n00b

Angry

ok.

So, my tuner subber came in the mail. Hooked it up, and aside from some moderate dot crawl, bad colour, and misconvergence, the thing worked and showed a picture which looked A-OK from across the room but terrible sitting about a couple feet away. It had that... I don't know what to call it, but you can see the coloured lines atop the "good"pics. I was going to connect the LD player and use the A Studio Standard disc to do convergence adjustment, but got called away... I didn't want the set to burn the place down so I shut it off and came back about 45mins to an hour later. (MAC/MAC4.jpg)

Fired it up again when I got home and it started being a hateful bastard. (Rest of the pics.) To get it to show a picture I had to leave the 40mhz cable just barely hanging on to the tuner subber, all the way in and it would make a high pitched sound and the picture would act as if it were being fed a super strong signal (even with gain control at probably 5-10%).

The convergence pattern was bleedy and shaky, like a high frequency jello shaking; when a blocky checkerboard was on the screen it did a "flag" moving and shaking on the right side.

I don't know what could have changed in 45mins-1hr!

I can tell that it would have an absolutely GLORIOUS picture if it would behave, so I'm not keen to getting rid of it, but.... SIGH. With the tuner out of the loop I know that it's something else now that's either changing values or just too old to hold its water. Probably a recap?? Also... anyone familiar with the convergence procedure, LOL?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAC.jpg (40.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg MAC4.jpg (47.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg worse.jpg (79.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg BAD.jpg (66.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg CONV1.jpg (63.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg KNOBS.jpg (56.6 KB, 24 views)

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron

Last edited by fujifrontier; 10-28-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen a few sets from the late 60s with imported tuners, Taiwan and maybe Hong Kong. Philco and Zenith seemed to be some of the pioneers in that.

The Philco-Ford rectangular console I used to have had that 'SS' emblem. I kick myself on a regular basis for getting rid of that one; at the time, before I had learned much about working on sets, that was probably the best working color TV I had owned. Traded it for a Truetone T-O clone and $15!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 PM
On Land

check your PM for instructions

Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

looks like macro vision lines on the top, try a diff video source like that from a DTV converter box.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:17 PM
On Land

Yeah Dave I was thinking the same. Fuji, if you have any disc that do not have copy protection (like cheap movies and sometime old TV shows on DVD), try them. The copy protection on most discs will produce those lines.

Sometimes, you can adjust them out by adjusting the verticle hold just slightly, but if you adjust it too far then the hold lets go. Just play with the control and you'll see what i am talking about.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Since you have a Laser Disc player, that will work fine too. Laser discs and players do not have any kind of copy protection. However, on second thought, they do have frame numbers or running time encoded into the vertical interval, so that could show up on older sets maybe.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Macgyver? That used to be my favorite show to watch when I was a kid.
I think if it were me I'd bypass the tuner/IF entirely and go for a direct video/audio input.
I'm going to do this on a Curtis Mathes tube type console. Since analog RF signals aren't used anymore I'd rather not have to RF-modulate a video signal from a DTV receiver and go through oxidized old tuner connections and all those unnecessary IF stages. I will need to build pre-amplifiers for both the video and audio though.
Audiokarma