Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM
complete novice

what is a bench test tv chassis?

Im a novice, im still reading tv books and to be honest most of it still goes over my head, but im slowly learning the "magic". A friends friend had died and he played with electronics all his life, was a radar technician, who also played with tvs and radios. He had this g.e table top chassis mounted on a wooden frame, with alligator clips on the end the crts wires and a dozen or so crt end caps with it and a "cycle" gauge added to the side of the thing. Theres a few more wires "unidentified" by me yet with the alligator clip ends. This was among the few "test equipment" pieces that didnt sell last year. I picked it and an unknown brand and model round crt that was laying there.

Ive no clue as to what this was used for, i cant get any pics on till next weekend when my brother comes back to town. (sorry im not great with computers).

Any idea what this was used for? Maybe it was for testing pictures on various crts? The cycle gauge has me fairly thrown though. Tomorrow im going to air hose the huge amount of wood chips, spider webs from it so i can try and figure it out.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

What does the "cycle" gauge say on the face? What is the range of numbers?

Does this chassis have plug-in modules? If so, could be used for checking out repaired modules.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting. Do you think it was paired with a CRT test jig? I have an RCA jig that basically consists of a CRT, yoke and a series of plugs and adapters to allow it to be used with most chassis.

Example:
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

It sounds to me like a description of labor for a TV repair invoice. It would mean that the chassis of the TV which had undergone a shop repair was operated and checked on the service bench, following its repair.