Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:46 PM
sampson159

that one will probably fade out after a few days use.when they are good the picture is awesome.we saw 5 to 6 sylvanias for every one other brand.largest sylvania distributor was a few miles away and they were the price leader.a 25 inch gt matic would set you back 299.00.a zenith or rca comparable would be 100 to 150 more.they pushed those sylvanias.the other sets would be adjusted dark and dim while sylvanias would have the contrast maxed out.l,i always liked the crt look of those sets but a really good zenith was just as good and lived a much longer life.my e48 is almost 40 years old and looks like new.this is the exception to the rule.my flat chassis is 44 years old and looks like new.my xl100 is 44 years old as looks like new.it was never used and was on a pallet when i picked it in 2006.since i owned it,its has less than 40 hours on it.this one doesnt really count.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:59 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
that one will probably fade out after a few days use.when they are good the picture is awesome.we saw 5 to 6 sylvanias for every one other brand.largest sylvania distributor was a few miles away and they were the price leader.a 25 inch gt matic would set you back 299.00.a zenith or rca comparable would be 100 to 150 more.they pushed those sylvanias.the other sets would be adjusted dark and dim while sylvanias would have the contrast maxed out.l,i always liked the crt look of those sets but a really good zenith was just as good and lived a much longer life.my e48 is almost 40 years old and looks like new.this is the exception to the rule.my flat chassis is 44 years old and looks like new.my xl100 is 44 years old as looks like new.it was never used and was on a pallet when i picked it in 2006.since i owned it,its has less than 40 hours on it.this one doesnt really count.
It's just as well. The 25VEDP22 in my Heathkit GR-2000 tested near new and will probably produce a picture just as good if not better once the set is up to snuff, and be far more reliable.

I'm not surprised by the low prices of those Sylvanias. In addition to their self-destructing CRTs and insatiable appetite for triplers mine had the poorest quality cabinet I've seen, even below the plastic Zenith consoles. Little wonder NAP stopped making replacement parts so early.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM
sampson159

those cabinets left alot to be desired!triplers went but not as often as any other sets.back then they were cheap easy repair.any good crt will produce a nice picture in this set.we did many swaps and recorded the results back in the shop.zenith crts always looked the best if a sylvania wasnt available.would like to see pictures of this
Old 08-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Followin' the Rules...

This thread is missing just one thing - a model number. Speculation and remembrance are great, but what is the OP's actual set?

With all of the service lit right at hand, I find it useless without a model number.......and no directory for service lit works without one.

If one can find the manufacture date, why are they so blind to a model number?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:04 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
those cabinets left alot to be desired!triplers went but not as often as any other sets.back then they were cheap easy repair.any good crt will produce a nice picture in this set.we did many swaps and recorded the results back in the shop.zenith crts always looked the best if a sylvania wasnt available.would like to see pictures of this
Funny, seems just about every time I read about a tripler replacement it's being done to a Sylvania. Just coincidence I guess.

I was going rebuild my E48's cabinet with real wood, but the more I dug into it the less re-usable material I found, maybe 3% of the entire cabinet. So, I just gutted it, broke it down which proved easier than with most cheap furniture and tossed it along with the vented CRT. Now I'm awaiting a donor cabinet, preferably one that originally housed a B&W set. If it's solid and I like the styling I'll use it. I kept the CRT end cap in case the convergence board sits almost flush with the back of the donor cabinet as it did in the original. Finally, I steamed and carefully peeled off the model sticker.

As for the OP's set, yeah we really could use a model number, and a chassis number while you're at it.
Audiokarma
Old 08-22-2017, 04:09 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Funny, seems just about every time I read about a tripler replacement it's being done to a Sylvania. Just coincidence I guess.

I was going rebuild my E48's cabinet with real wood, but the more I dug into it the less re-usable material I found, maybe 3% of the entire cabinet. So, I just gutted it, broke it down which proved easier than with most cheap furniture and tossed it along with the vented CRT. Now I'm awaiting a donor cabinet, preferably one that originally housed a B&W set.
Bear in mind most monochrome sets post 1960 had substantially higher deflection angles than found in most color sets, and thus had shallower cabinets to make the most of the monochrome CRTs being significantly less deep. Unless you find an older cabinet odds are it will not be deep enough to properly protect the color CRT.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Bear in mind most monochrome sets post 1960 had substantially higher deflection angles than found in most color sets, and thus had shallower cabinets to make the most of the monochrome CRTs being significantly less deep. Unless you find an older cabinet odds are it will not be deep enough to properly protect the color CRT.
I already thought of that and was checking out sample cabinet depths. Antique B&W sets pop up around here more often than early SS color sets.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:40 PM
sampson159

1976 models could be e-41 or e-45 chassis.some sylvania sets that came in would have build dates of certain years with earlier model chassis.i think sun tv here in columbus would alter those stickers.older sets with new built dates.found stickers placed over stickers in some cases.i have tinkered with thousands of sylvanias and have a soft spot for them.zeniths are the very best with rca and sylvania running neck and neck for second