Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:50 AM
rpallesen

CT-100 Best way to sell "not CTC"

I am starting this thread over because I had "CTC" on the brain. It is a 1954 CT-100.

I own a RCA CTC-100 which I purchased from a television store in Hiawatha Kansas. The store McQueen TV purchased the set to sell and it never sold. When the store's owner Jim McQueen retired I purchased the set from him. It was on display and worked. Jim had mentioned that RCA would occasionaly borrow the set for conventions in Kansas City but hadn't contacted him in several years. That was 15 years ago.

Jim made sure the set worked perfectly and gave me the repair manual and a complete set of tubes for the set. The high voltage tube was broken "by my kids" as well as the channel knob. I have the knob and it could be repaired.

Right now the TV is in climate controlled storage and I have decided it is probably time to part with it. It is complete, origional, and works perfectly. I remember watching a KC Chiefs play off game on it. "it has been a long time since the Chiefs were in the play offs". The tube is bright and the color very good. I was amazed at how good it looked.

I have decided to sell my complete collection of televisions. I have 20-30 sets most not working. The CTC-100 is the only one in climate controlled storage.

I have been looking on ebay and can't find any history on CTC-100 sets. I am also very dissapointed at the value of many vintiage sets. I don't know if I should hold a local auction or sell them on ebay.

Advice?

I would really like to just sell the entire collection. I also have a complete SAMS collection "also from McQueen TV" and boxes and boxes and boxes of tubes. "20 or so apple boxes of new and used tubes. Most new in boxes" I have become interested in old McIntosh tube amplifier equipment and will probably keep the audio tubes but the TV tubes, radio tubes and the TV collection needs to go. Somebody needs to care for them and restore them. They are a beautiful part of electronics history.

I used to service and repair VCRs and TVs for a living. I don't know how I did this but I started saving old top loading VCRs when they came thru the shop. I have a dozen of them most with knob tuning. All in perfect working order "but the rubber has been sitting and that was 15 years ago" Are they worth anything?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, you have the Mac Daddy of collectable TVs there, Sport...If indeed the CRT has not gone to air, you're looking at a set possibly worth several thousand bux. CT-100s were made in 1954, there were about 1000 or so made, there are about 125 survivors left, & a handful still work.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eh, make a fishtank out of it and sell it for $10.00 at a yard sale.
I'M KIDDING!

Seriously, either find a well established TV collector to buy it off of you, or donate it to a well established museum.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
donate it to a well established museum.
And take a tax deduction, if the museum is a qualifying institution, such as the Early Television Foundation.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/

Phil Nelson
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Mark

I take donations!!!!!!!HE HE HE!! I anytime I think of a working CT-100.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

The ct-100 with.a good crt if you can check if running or test with checker should sell for $2000 to $5,000, they can't be found anymore. Take the money and run baby!!

Check out 1955 colorcaster Hoffman on fleabay, selling it there shows it WORLDWIDE TO all sellers. Europeans mostly didn't see color til late 1960s to early 1970s, a 1954 color set is an absolute novelty to them!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Old 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM
rpallesen

The tube is in perfect working order. It has a very bright picture and works perfectly. It looks as good as any other new tv except the corners are cut off.

Should I simply list it on eBay? Should I take pictures of it running?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ebay for sure, to get top $.

Lots of sharp, properly exposed pictures.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

delete

Last edited by rustnrot; 04-13-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to move this thread to the TV swap forum as it is mostly a sale-related issue...sorry to disturb this thread again.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree that ebay is the way to go on this. Give lots of details: serial number, history, photos from all angles. Don't skimp. These have sold well on ebay but I don't think one has been listed for a little while.

As for the other stuff-nice if you can sell it all as a lot, but that may not be easy. The biggest problem could be buyers 'cherry picking', leaving you with the less desirable stuff that you then have a hard time finding a home for. If you can sell the series string tv tubes and 21" bw consoles in a lot with the sweep tubes and 10" bw sets, well, you don't have to worry about it.

Remember that TV collecting is still a new game with a limited number of players. Prices are all over the place. It can be difficult to come up with a fair price for many things. That's why ebay works well, since if the listing is done right you will get what you should.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I notice tonight that the TV Swap Board seems to be missing? Temporary, I hope! Thought I better post while I still can!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 AM
VK Member

Hi Folks,

it is very interesting to read about fleabay offers here and to discuss technical issues of the offered items. But please avoid calls for bidding and buying here. AK should be a forum for technical and historical issues.

- Eckhard
Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Audiokarma