Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Analogue is Awesome

My last purchase was the movie "AND JUSTICE FOR ALL" (Havent seen that movie in years)

I am quite picky when i find VHS movies.. I only get ones that HAVE NOT BEEN DIGITALLY ALTERED IN ANYWAY!! (Digitally Mastered,Digitally Recorded,Dolby Digital,etc) it takes away from the good quality of the movie...... They dont look/sound anywhere near as good with digital crap in them....... (In my opinion)

What was your last purchase?? (Either hardware or movie,whatever )

Last edited by Dude111; 09-08-2022 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

My last VHS hardware purchase was my Panasonic PV-4022 VCR, back in 2002. Still have it, and it still works, but I don't use it often these days since getting a DVD player. The only reason I bought it was to replace another Panasonic machine, with VCR Plus, that had eaten a tape; I had to practically wreck the VCR to get the cassette out. To make matters worse, I had just recorded a TV movie on that cassette a short time before the VCR ruined it. Never got a chance to see any of the film. I wish I could remember the title of the film I lost; if I knew it, I'd try to find it on DVD. ...... Oh, well.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I never bought pre-recorded VHS (or Beta) tapes at all, except for a few music-video ones. Tape recorders (video or audio) were always for making your OWN recordings to me; discs (laser, vinyl, or others) were the way to buy movies and music, no comparison.

My last VHS purchase was a brand-new Panasonic Hi-Fi VCR that I gave my mother for Christmas in 2004. That machine cost maybe $60 or $70 new, and it set EVERYTHING by itself (antenna versus cable, scan for channels, self-set clock from over-the-air signal) when I first plugged it in, without even going into any menus if I remember right.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Analogue is Awesome

My last purchase was the movie "THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN" Which wasnt recorded in SP mode sadly (It was in LP which is almost as good) and thus didnt sound QUITE AS GOOD as it could of....
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't recall ever buying any new pre-recorded tapes; however, I recorded a lot of stuff off of cable.

My last new VCR purchase was a "last gasp" Funai-built Emerson from around '06. Something happened to whatever VCR I had at the time and I wanted to record something; so, I ran to China-Mart and handed them the $39 for the Emerson. As you probably expect, it was the worst VCR I've ever owned. The silver plastic blob weighed maybe two pounds and it wasn't long before it started suddenly stopping on it's own. The final straw was when it ate one of my tapes and that's when I cut off the power cord and tossed the rest. Shortly after, my neighbor died and I ended up buying his late '90's Sharp VCR; which, still works fine.

I think that cheap China-Mart VCR was one of the last ones they had and it wasn't long before the equally crappy DVD/VCR combinations came out that didn't even have a tuner built into them.
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

A couple of years ago, I ended up purchasing a used VHS copy of "The Competition" with Richard Dreyfuss and Amy Irving, after my 25+ year old copy (off of HBO) was lost. This movie has not been issued on DVD.

About 5 years ago I purchased what is likely my last new VHS player, a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V which is a combo unit that records and plays *both* VHS and DVDs. The Panasonic seems to be a fairly high quality, solid unit and contains a NTSC and ATSC tuner for recording off the air, as well as cable channel capability.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 02-19-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Last purchase was 2 boxes 10 ea. of Fµji H471S S-VHS tapes about 10 years ago. About the same time I looked around at the nearly 1,000 tapes on shelves and boxed up I had already recorded over 20 years and never watched, and stopped recording stuff off the air and satellite. Still have not opened a box yet. What a waste. But I broke my habit.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 02-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

I bought a box of 25 railroad-themed VHS tapes for $10 at a train show in Baltimore at this time a year ago...
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I last got the movie MARKED MAN and i love it! (No digital compromise)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Scanning The Skies

The last VCR I got was from our local tip (dump to you guys in the USA) and paid £2 for it. It's an Aiwa machine, HIFI stereo playback with NICAM digital sound for recording. The NICAM feature now being useless since we lost analogue TV nearly 6 months ago, however it will record stereo from a satellite box etc. I had to buy a remote (cheap off the 'bay) and it works well.
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2013, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman2 View Post
The last VCR I got was from our local tip (dump to you guys in the USA) and paid £2 for it. It's an Aiwa machine, HIFI stereo playback with NICAM digital sound for recording. The NICAM feature now being useless since we lost analogue TV nearly 6 months ago, however it will record stereo from a satellite box etc. I had to buy a remote (cheap off the 'bay) and it works well.
Around here they don't encourage buying items for reuse.
I guess if you approach the right the person, it can be done. The so-called recyclers only pay by the pound. That's weight, not Pound Sterling.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Last thing i got was 2 movies

MOVING
The Abyss

2 good movies
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just bought a portable Quasar VA546QA from that place. Full working and a remote for $10. Got it to power my collection of 10-pin cameras of the era. RCA CC-001, CC-002, CC-030 with the Indextron viewfinder, GBC CTC-5X (twin of the CC-002), Sharp XX (little cam with the tube in the handle), and an unknown RCA BW CC-XXX.

The last big retail deck I bought was a RCA VMT-400 HQ Digital deck from 1987. $700. Has early DRAM digital tricks. Freeze frame, posterization, mosaic and PIP but a noisy bearing somewhere. BPCVHS since then and they are gone.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Analogue is Awesome

My last purchase was the movie THE TOY (1982)

I have this but its recorded in SLP mode and not the best quality

EXCELLENT MOVIE!

EDIT:

I just got the movie "Beverly Hills Cop"

Last edited by Dude111; 03-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
The lead ear.

Last VCR was Mitsubishi HS-U446. Last VHS I bough were copies of The Mind's Eye and beyond the Mind's Eye. Last movie rented was Dr. Zhivago, as they did not have it on DVD.

I look back now and wonder how we ever tolerated VHS. :p
Audiokarma