Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Found a CTC40

I went out Thrifting again today, hit Goodwill and found a few records, then I shot over to the Mormon Thrift Store nearby, they sometimes have older TV's for cheap.

I spotted what I thought was just a Radio/Phono combo but then I saw the owners manual said TV on it!
Pulled open the front doors and sure enough, I thought right off it was a 40 and it was.

The bad side is it's missing the entire back cover, I found a bit of the Tube Cup so I have a pretty good idea what happened to it.
It's also in a fairly ugly Mediterranean style cabinet, at least it doesn't have Red Velvet grille cloth.
It also weighs 400 pounds (give or take) it took three of us to get it in the Van, the one guy looked like a Football player and he took one end, me and the other guy got the other end, the van was noticeably slower with the load.

On the plus side the CRT (original CRT with a 1969 date code!) checks like new on all three guns, this surprised the heck out of me since I know that 40's will go through CRT's in a few years of hard use, this set must be low hours.
It has the beginnings of a Cataract but it looks like the type of PVA that will come off easily.

The Record changer is in beautiful condition, it even has the needle so it must not have been on the floor of the thrift long.

The cabinet is in decent condition with a few scratches and chips here and there, one lower corner looks like it got beat with the Vaccum a lot and has been painted to hide it, all in all a very decent set for $20.

Here's some pictures, note that I have all the knobs but I pulled them off and took them with me as soon as I bought it, there were kids in the store and they had been playing withe it earlier so I wanted to make sure they wouldn't get lost. (the knobs that is, I could care less if the kids got lost )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc40front.jpg (40.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg ctc40changer.jpg (21.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ctc40radio.jpg (27.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg ctc40controls.jpg (30.9 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Eric H; 07-07-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Since using a Variac on this set is not a good idea I went ahead and plugged it in (still in the van) got a nice loud Degauss hum followed a few seconds later by the sound of HV crackling on the screen.

Yes folks, we have a nice full snowy raster! A little on the Blue side but it's been sitting in a Thrift Store with the back off, who knows what got twiddled.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Glad you got it and that will be a nice one once it's fixed up!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
..better in black & white

Nice find!
Gotta love those push buttons on the top!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Pretty cool set amd a nice find! Not too many of those in thrift stores anymore.
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnavox300 View Post
Nice find!
Gotta love those push buttons on the top!
Yeah, those are cool, I was playing with them while I was testing the CRT and set.

The TV was on when I plugged it in, no doubt because I turned it on when I removed the knobs.

I couldn't get the Stereo to do anything, possibly because the TV was on? Not sure how that works yet, got to figure out how to get it out of the van and in the house, I'll probably have to take it apart somewhat.

This thing has some massive speakers in it, like 16x9 oval or close to it, also has Tweeters, and a Solid State Amplifier, I look forward to hearing what it sounds like.

The Turntable looks like a very nice one with a lightweight tone arm.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Convergence freak!

Very nice find Eric! That cabinet looks just like the one my CTC-40 went into. I find it interesting that it has a swing out door for the tv controls where all the other 40's had a pull out tray. I had another RCA with a pull out tray when I was a kid. It was an all tube model too.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very cool. Some day I hope to find a 40, no more combos though. I should have all the service info on that if you need anything
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Convergence freak!

Btw. Which model looked identical to the CTC-40 but was all tube? Minus the nuvistors of course. It had the pull out drawer.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Convergence freak!

Hey Eric. How's the focus in that one?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

This CTC40 has been sitting in a garage sale/storage liquidator warehouse for a long time. It's been there so long I'm sure they'd take way less than the $30 marked since they typically move alot of stuff through there. Trouble is they're only open Saturday mornings and sometimes Thursday for a few hours, usually when I'm working. That and they're 25 miles through traffic from my house.

Anyway, if anybody wants the contact info for the store let me know.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
Btw. Which model looked identical to the CTC-40 but was all tube? Minus the nuvistors of course. It had the pull out drawer.
There were a few CTC-38s and 39s with a very similar control panel and tilt-out control door, and also there was a (CTC-27 or 28???) which had the channel knobs hidden and was full-function remote. I think it had a solid state audio output, but otherwise looked like a CTC-25.

Charles