Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Blondes have more fun

Nothing earth shattering to report here, just my latest find:

As one can usually expect from these later Zenith table radios, this C730E didn't need much. Just replacing a weak 35C5 output tube restored its booming sound quality. All the caps have been replaced, save for a suspicious-looking waxy one still attached to the radio/photo switch junction. I might change it just to be sure. There's a bit of lifting/dryness on the oak faceplate, but the 'dots' on the dial lens are reflections. This radio is in very nice condition; even the 'heavy' knobs (not potmetal) have very little wear. I'll take it down for a thorough cleaning, but there are a few ahead of it.

As far as I can tell, I now have the C730 in every color/finish option. It took some searching, but 'Blondie' is now in the fold to stay! These radios make being a vintage-audiophile easy as falling asleep...and this one will be playing tonight when I do-
Old 05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
AK Member

Nice find Nolan.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Got its twin, Nolan. It was my granmother's radio. Don't think its ever had anything done to it.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought two Zenith table radios from Ebay around 2006 one of which is like the one pictured above. the cabinet had the same fake woodgrain painted finish. I removed everything from the case, sanded off the paint and installed new white oak veneer on the sides and top of the cabinet, and finished it with Minwax antique oil finish. I also carefully removed the grill cloth and bleached it because it was as yellow as mustard. So far so good. When the finish has cured I will re-assemble it and try to post pictures here
Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice!!!!!
Audiokarma