Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

How to go about getting broadcast monitors?

I would like to procure some older broadcast monitors. I would prefer them to have BNC inputs or VGA inputs. Of course larger is better, but anything 14 inches or larger will do.

Specific models that really interest me are anything from Sony's BVM line, Sony PGM2950, Sony PGM-200r2u, NEC XM37 or xm29. If something from those or roughly equivalent.

However, I would even be willing to entertain getting a few from Sony's PVM line if I can't find any that are better.

How much should I be looking to pay? Also, does anyone know a good way to go about getting these? I've tried craigslist and ebay. Craigslist got no response and ebay seems to have them over priced and shipping is terrible. I am starting to think I should just contact local places that might have aging broadcast equipment. Does anyone think that would work?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

" ebay seems to have them over priced"

If you look at eBay past sales and see what they are actually selling for, that is the going price. If that is higher than you want to pay, they are not overpriced. Rather it is that you aren't willing to pay what they are worth.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Where are you? If you're in the middle of nowhere with no professional broadcast or production facilities, then ebay is pretty much it.

If you're in a larger market, then jump into your Wayback machine, set it for ten years ago and dumpster dive outside TV stations. Or, contact chief engineers of TV stations or older production facilities and see if they have any left to dispose of. Make friends with the local electronics recycling companies, too, and have them let you know if interesting stuff comes in.

My last one, a PVM-20M4U will be hanging around awhile...

Chip
Old 07-02-2015, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'll definitely be contacting local electronics recycling companies. that's a great idea.

I tried emailing tv stations and only 2 of the dozen i emailed got back to me. unfortunately, they both said that they got rid of them years ago.

I am thinking that email might not be the way to go. I guess I could call them, or stop by.. but I dont want to be a nuisance.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Recycling Events...

near here CHARGE for taking TVs. SO, what you do, is set up your pickup truck in advance of the drop off point with a sign for FREE TV RECYCLING and just wait.
Best to have a pickup (rather than a minivan) as some sets might have ants or roaches in them.
Audiokarma
Old 08-06-2015, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Contact your local TV station. They may very well have some old junk around that they'll give you just to get it out of their way.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Followin' the Rules...

PublicSurplus.com

They are the eBay for local/state Govt agencies. I got 2/3 of the studio electronics from a local school system - for opening bids. My best take was a vocational electronics lab from a rural school system - 113 pieces of equipment for 145 bucks, plus gas, as they were 230 miles from here.

Some really good buys, and you can check out the stuff before you bid, if they are local.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-07-2015, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I posted these photos in an older thread in the classifieds:
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/bga...st%20Equipment
There are a couple older, smaller monitors in that pile. It's all stuff that belongs to a friend of mine, located in WV/MD. Very fair pricing.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:41 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I posted these photos in an older thread in the classifieds:
http://s184.photobucket.com/user/bga...st%20Equipment
There are a couple older, smaller monitors in that pile. It's all stuff that belongs to a friend of mine, located in WV/MD. Very fair pricing.
Hey Brian, did you ever get that DAT deck I asked you about?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-19-2015, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesabs View Post
I would like to procure some older broadcast monitors. I would prefer them to have BNC inputs or VGA inputs. Of course larger is better, but anything 14 inches or larger will do.

Specific models that really interest me are anything from Sony's BVM line, Sony PGM2950, Sony PGM-200r2u, NEC XM37 or xm29. If something from those or roughly equivalent.

However, I would even be willing to entertain getting a few from Sony's PVM line if I can't find any that are better.

How much should I be looking to pay? Also, does anyone know a good way to go about getting these? I've tried craigslist and ebay. Craigslist got no response and ebay seems to have them over priced and shipping is terrible. I am starting to think I should just contact local places that might have aging broadcast equipment. Does anyone think that would work?
Where are you located? I have a Sony PVM-2030.
Audiokarma
Old 08-19-2015, 03:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
near here CHARGE for taking TVs. SO, what you do, is set up your pickup truck in advance of the drop off point with a sign for FREE TV RECYCLING and just wait.
Best to have a pickup (rather than a minivan) as some sets might have ants or roaches in them.
Or WORSE... Years ago, b4 we split off from AK, there was a guy told this story of finding a console radio in a barn. He & his buddy had a van, they loaded 'er up, & set off back home. Barely got on the hiway when they were ATTACKED by a bunch of rather ANGRY Waspers. Apparently, the radio had a sizable nest in it that they missed in their hurry to get loaded up... ALWAYS CHECK.. Kinda funny in a way, but it prolly WASN'T right then...