Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

A lot of good radio luck this weekend. WOOHO

I took a 150 mile round trip to look at a Toshiba Lace transistor radio and had to pass because the condition didn't match the price. On the way back there was an auction 2 miles from the house so I stopped.
I bought a late 40's junk Philco console for a buck and got about 12 tubes out of it. Next was a Hammond home organ loaded with 2 RCA black plate 12AX7's, 16 good GE 12AU7's, 2 GE 6V6's and a 5U4 plus a couple of others and 2 10" speakers. The organ cost 5 bucks. Then came the Zenith AM/FM console with turn table. An older gentleman wanted it so I didn't bid. He bought it and since he saw me taking tubes from the other stuff he knew I liked that kind of stuff. Well the tragedy was he had no interest in the radio stuff inside he just wanted the cabinet and speakers. He offered me the radio, amp and turn table if I helped him load the cabinet in his van. I thought better me than the junk yard. Got it home and after some inspection I warmed it up hooked the organ speakers and with a little tube fiddling it was pulling in stations on both bands with almost no hum. To top it off the turn table worked and if it had a needle instead of a stub it would play a record. That was my Saturday.
Sunday started with the paper ending with the ads. I found one ad with a couple of Zenith radios one black one brown. My first thought was Trans Oceanic and I wasn't wrong. By 10:30 I was at the house and found a black Trans Oceanic and RCA's brown version of a TO. She wanted a 100 apiece. I've had the RCA and they really aren't that well made but I bought the Zenith and it came with framed ads from the time period probably from Look or Life and the original manual.
Here's some pictures.

Some big iron.

Empire 298 TT W/Denon 103 cart
Marantz CD6006, Pioneer DV-588 SACD

Last edited by sanford12; 07-21-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
VK Member

i think the tt looks coolio...