Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

1959/60ish GE T151A

The latest project. Got a modernization like the bendix, the chassis is done, its a 'mad max' radio right now, hope to have some very unusual pics for you guys in a couple days.

Its a really cool case radio, same chassis as the old T120. Modernized well.

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Old 03-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Motorola Minion

Is that T151A a Musaphonic? I have two T159s AA6 and they sound fantastic
Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes it is, has a single RCA jack (and spot on the selector) for a mono-phono and has an RCA jack for an additional speaker.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

The board looks naked when a giant can comes off and a selenium rectifier...the diode in the air almost looks comical. I chose a 150ohm to replace the 22ohm resistor wire and the natural resistance of the selenium. Even with todays voltages I am a few percent from the factory target on the plates.

There was also another cement coated wirewound in the circuit for 150ohm...overkill, I figure it wasa 5 watt unit when 1 would suffice, but I got a ton of 10watt cements...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new power supply.jpg (72.0 KB, 34 views)

Old 03-20-2015, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

The old method used the switch to drop a line thru a 400ma slow blow to the chassis. Sicne we reverse the switch anyways now, I have the designated neutral wired to the fuse to the chassis, I have a ton of old ACG fuse holders so I bolted one to the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new fuse.jpg (79.4 KB, 27 views)

Audiokarma
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, and I remembered to take a 'before' exterior shot before I MOSTLY started... :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (84.0 KB, 28 views)

Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Finally got the radio together....and here it is (see attachments)

We combined a few skills here, my wife paints and distresses furniture for the 'shabby chic' (rhymes with reek, pronounced sheek) look which is VERY hot in antique stores.

So I took a working amfm, modernized it, improved it and she took the perfectly fine virgin intact case and...

I know, the purists want to kill me I bet, BUT, there is now 100x more chance that this will end up in someones living room working, rather than taking up (a lot of) space on a shelf for decades.

Thats the whole point of me restoring these - getting others who now/never have had one to own one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (106.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg left 34.jpg (83.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg right 34.jpg (80.2 KB, 19 views)

Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM
M is for Memory

Sad...Though, I guess it is better than those scum bags who gut and repurpose console cabinets.

The bad thing about modernizing the look of the timeless is that modern taste is transitory. What is hot today will be the height of tacky tomorrow, thus updating it makes it more likely to go out of style....If someone wants a radio that age a up-to-date cabinet style likely will make no difference to them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
The old method used the switch to drop a line thru a 400ma slow blow to the chassis. Sicne we reverse the switch anyways now, I have the designated neutral wired to the fuse to the chassis, I have a ton of old ACG fuse holders so I bolted one to the bottom.
You didn't leave that wonderful Shield capacitor, connected to the tone control. It's probably worse, than the one you removed.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

splain again?

Audiokarma
Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddriver View Post
splain again?
The bottom view, to the right of the fuseholder! The white cap, with the blue printing connected to the tone pot.
The Shield brand capacitors, were sold at Olson's, well over 50 years ago. Early Japanese import paper capacitors.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:57 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sad...Though, I guess it is better than those scum bags who gut and repurpose console cabinets.

The bad thing about modernizing the look of the timeless is that modern taste is transitory. What is hot today will be the height of tacky tomorrow, thus updating it makes it more likely to go out of style....If someone wants a radio that age a up-to-date cabinet style likely will make no difference to them.

It is a crying shame, IMHO, that the cabinet of this GE radio was repainted. I think the cabinet is real wood, and to paint over such a beautiful thing is inexcusable. If the paint were stripped off, it might well ruin the wood underneath permanently.

I have two Zenith AM-FM table radios in real wood cabinets; I would not dream of doing anything to the finish of either of them. I like the look of real wood, and all but hate it when I see such a cabinet repainted, as this one was. One of my Zenith radios, a K731 in an Early American style cabinet, is in my apartment atop my refrigerator, and it matches the kitchen cabinets perfectly. The other Zenith, a C845 (like the one in my avatar), is in my bedroom atop a chest of drawers; again, the finish of the radio's cabinet matches that of the chest almost perfectly. Both radios work and sound great as well, even though both are well over 50 years old. These radios are keepers as far as I am concerned.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-28-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The bottom view, to the right of the fuseholder! The white cap, with the blue printing connected to the tone pot.
The Shield brand capacitors, were sold at Olson's, well over 50 years ago. Early Japanese import paper capacitors.
oh I gotcha, that pic was taken long before I was done, I had to eventually take out the on/off and lengthen wires, change caps etc...

I just wanted to highlight the adaptation of the inline fuse that was just floating in the case wrapped in paper

Old 03-29-2015, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
It is a crying shame, IMHO, that the cabinet of this GE radio was repainted. I think the cabinet is real wood, and to paint over such a beautiful thing is inexcusable. If the paint were stripped off, it might well ruin the wood underneath permanently.

I have two Zenith AM-FM table radios in real wood cabinets; I would not dream of doing anything to the finish of either of them. I like the look of real wood, and all but hate it when I see such a cabinet repainted, as this one was. One of my Zenith radios, a K731 in an Early American style cabinet, is in my apartment atop my refrigerator, and it matches the kitchen cabinets perfectly. The other Zenith, a C845 (like the one in my avatar), is in my bedroom atop a chest of drawers; again, the finish of the radio's cabinet matches that of the chest almost perfectly. Both radios work and sound great as well, even though both are well over 50 years old. These radios are keepers as far as I am concerned.
I hear you and I realize that opinion exists. But those holding it, are missing the point. As I am fond of telling people "the world you think you live in, died long before you entered it". And it applies to so much. This hobby is no different. We are working on dusenbergs, model A's, packards and while it seems interesting, the number of who think so number in the comparative dozens.

Reality, when we are done, its over. One, out of 300 million, will not be a resurgent trend.

So, compare that to my business statement: my plan only works if the stuff ends up in 'your' living room (in the royal sense)

Only then does interest foster itself. Do you have a few units in your house? Wonderful. They will be seen again at your estate sale. Will that self sustain?

Reality, why do I buy all or most of the radios at a sale? Because I can. It has nothing to do with having deeper pockets or a commanding 'yuuuup', its because I am unopposed. The subject radio? It and 4 8ft tables worth for $5 at a well advertised sale. Yeah, they are real valued.

No one cares. Not even the guys here and other websites.

I am doing my part to change that. I process a couple hundred units a year. Yeah, some get scrapped out, but they die and others live. Its really no different from any other restoration hobby. 'Cept radios are cheaper than cars.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Motorola Minion

My opinion is that, if someone buys, displays and actually uses it, it has been preserved. Looking at it as a conservator, I try to do nothing that is not reversible later.

I used to prefer lighter Early-American-Maple cabinets 35 years ago, while not liking the MCM that is in demand right now.

And I dread the thought of an estate sale, my stuff better be finished or otherwise remain in good shape by then or it WILL become trash.
Audiokarma