Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
Well, you did a good deed for the elder couple.
I Agree.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
I checked and my CRT has a Zenith Brand Sticker on it.
Some of those Thomson CRT's were branded as Zenith. Look for an EIA number and that will tell us who really made it. Also, if the CRT has a bonded yoke, it's most likely a Thomson.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Any 27" (A68) tube should work, as long as the CRT socket and mounts are the same.

I can't remember the value; but, there is one electrolytic capacitor in regulator circuit that will fail and cause intermittent/no start-up. An elderly couple that I know had the 2002 upright version and when it died, they bought a flatty and gave me the old set. They said that they really didn't like the flatty; but, that was all that was available. That cap was bad in their set and once I got it going, I offered it back to them. They took the flatty back and were very happy to have the Zenith.
When I bought this TV the G2(Screen) I felt was set a little too high. When viewing just the Back Screen it looked a little bright. I backed down the G2 but still seems a little bright? Any suggestions on the correct adjustment of the G2 (Screen)? The Screen seems to have quite a bit of red color in it. This set has no adjustments that I can find for the Color Hue. It makes the Black& Gray in pictures sometimes have a little red tint. Any suggestions on correcting this or what is causing this would be appreciated. I set the EZ Picture to Customs to make my own settings on the TV. The Digital Preset was way too overdone. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post
Zenith made a console in 2004?

Please post pics. This I gotta see.
I have a Zenith console from September 2002 I run when I'm not using the 1982 model. It is a 25 incher, model B25A74R. IIRC, I remember Mom and I settling on that same model back then for just in case we ever lose the old 1982 Zenith.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Looking for a backup CRT for this Zenith 2004 Console Television.

It is Model number B27A74 R. It has Serial number 421-42130169. The number on the original CRT that is still in it reads A68ADT31X03. I thought I saw somewhere where they had a Substitution CRT for this TV that read
A68AGD01X. I would appreciate any help or suggestions in being able to locate a good CRT for it. Thank You.
Hmmm, looking at your post again after checking my 2002 model, you have the same model as me except mine is the 25 incher instead of 27. I got it from my best friend's brother in law, he bought a flat screen and was dumping the old Zenith so now it is my living room TV. I use the 1982 model in the dining room that doubles as my computer room with my desktop PC.
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Hope this helps. Exploded view lists the CRT:
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not by the book but turn brightness, color & contrast all the way down.
Adj G-2 up til you see retrace lines then turn down til they go away &
screen isnt lit.
Turn things back up & check that the brightness has good range.
For the color adjustments you need to get into the service menus.
ALLWAYS write down anything you change.
The red problem is probably a leaky driver or the CRT though.....

73 Zeno

Quote:
When I bought this TV the G2(Screen) I felt was set a little too high. When viewing just the Back Screen it looked a little bright. I backed down the G2 but still seems a little bright? Any suggestions on the correct adjustment of the G2 (Screen)? The Screen seems to have quite a bit of red color in it. This set has no adjustments that I can find for the Color Hue. It makes the Black& Gray in pictures sometimes have a little red tint. Any suggestions on correcting this or what is causing this would be appreciated. I set the EZ Picture to Customs to make my own settings on the TV. The Digital Preset was way too overdone. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Hope this helps. Exploded view lists the CRT:
Thanks a bunch for sending me that PDF File. For the Main Module it states:
Component Level Repair and no part number. Can anyone explain this to me? Anyone that can help on locating Part Number for the Main Module would be appreciated. Trying to find some extra parts if I can. We really like this particular Zenith TV ALOT.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for sending me that PDF File. For the Main Module it states:
Component Level Repair and no part number. Can anyone explain this to me? Anyone that can help on locating Part Number for the Main Module would be appreciated. Trying to find some extra parts if I can. We really like this particular Zenith TV ALOT.

Thanks.
Does anyone know if number 9-2067-04A sound like the right number for the Main Board on this Model B27A74R 2004 Zenith Console Set ?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, that's the number for the main module. Zenith was one of the last companies that offered module level repair of it's TV's. That means that you can exchange the module for a rebuilt one, saving the technician the time of troubleshooting the old board. In later years, Zenith announced that technicians were expected to repair the board to the component level, meaning that they were to find out exactly what part was bad and replace the bad parts.

On most Zenith TV's of any age, I tried to fix them by component level repair as much as possible. Sometimes, I exchanged the defective module and the new module was often bad right out of the box. I was told that they simply replaced a certain list of parts and that was it. If the failure happened to be caused by one of those parts; then, you're back in business. However, if the failure was something else, that meant trouble. I always liked repairing them to the component level because it's stupid to spend $60+ on a module that could have been fixed for under $5.

I seem to remember that they really didn't want you repairing the 9-160 modules (in early '80's TV's); but, I fixed a bunch of them. I've even replaced flyback transformers on them (usually with one obtained from a junk board).
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Too much Red

When I Grey Scale my Set I have too much red showing in the Screen. The red color isn't bleeding out though in the pictures. I rescaled & it's better but still not right. It helped the B& W shots some at least. If I leave the G2 turned up higher than normal the red doesn't show like when I turn it down. However, when the screen is set higher it of course washes out the picture some. Anyone that can help on this and what is causing this would be appreciated. Also, any heads up on locating a CRT for this set would be nice to.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

You can use almost any schematic for a SS set to
follow this. I dont have this manual so its aproximate.
Use a blank screen.
The R,G & B outputs usually on the CRT socket.
Video comes into all 3 emitters apx same voltage.
R,G, & B each go to there base, again all about the same.
If you measure the collectors they will be apx 120VDC.
If one goes low it brightens that color, if high will darken it.
Try swapping the Red transistor with another. If the red
is still messed up the transistor is OK.
If the red collector is low DC volts pull the CRT socket &
measure it again. if it came up the CRT has H-K leakage.
Also compair the red base with the others, the jungle IC
may have a problem.

73 Zeno
Old 07-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Does anyone know if number 9-2067-04A sound like the right number for the Main Board on this Model B27A74R 2004 Zenith Console Set ?
Your set doesn't have a swappable module like the earlier sets. Zenith supported it as component level repair. You couldn't order the module from Zenith or PTS. See the exploded view I posted earlier.

If you need the manual, pm me. I have a TON of Zenith and LG service data, all original pdfs.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
When I Grey Scale my Set I have too much red showing in the Screen. The red color isn't bleeding out though in the pictures. I rescaled & it's better but still not right. It helped the B& W shots some at least. If I leave the G2 turned up higher than normal the red doesn't show like when I turn it down. However, when the screen is set higher it of course washes out the picture some. Anyone that can help on this and what is causing this would be appreciated. Also, any heads up on locating a CRT for this set would be nice to.

Thanks.
Zenith's procedure.

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-29-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Zenith's procedure.
Thanks for the information. It is appreciated.
Audiokarma