Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Night Wolf

Hey everyone....any info on this thing? anything?

this was given to me by one of my mothers friends, she saw it on the side of the road (out at the trash) and picked it up for me.

It's made by Saba, the model is the Truhe - Villingen W III

EVERYTHING is in German, I have mutiple manuals (has a dual tt with a cheap plastic arm, manual for that too, in German along with warrantee cards etc... all in German. it is made out of solid wood, although I think the finish is a venner or something because the real wood is lighter. I coudln't find any date, but upon looking at the driver, I got Feb. 15th, 1954

perhaps the most weird part on this is, on the dial, there are names of alot of major cities (all in German) I could make out a few like London, Berlin, Monte Carlo etc... but I have no clue what any of this is. I am not going to pluyg it in (yet either) although it does have a selectable power supply (125/220)

also this thing is tube right? is there any info on this? anyone hear speak German? is this thing worth anything? or not, worth fixing?

I figured if it is not worth anything/too much work to fix I could mkae it a nice case/rack for something it looks really nice (would look better once cleaned up) but the bottom area and also the top adds for alot of space that would be a nice DIY for something, but I have a felling this could be worth something.

It is pretty clear alot of work went into this, I mean there is even a light that goes on when the bottom door is opened (can tell by the light and switch) and the holder for the records etc..

Also I should do much besides clean it up, correct? as it could ruin it's value?

anyway, here are some pictures:
Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Night Wolf

The Dual tt, it looks good (disc drive like my BSR) but has a cheap arm, you will also notice the nice wood and all the manuals etc...
Old 03-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Night Wolf

the dial with the names of all the cities

rading the manual now, this is what it says:

(in Germanl but someone wrote in English what band it is)

FM- 87-100mhz (isn't it 108 now?)

HF- 18,7-5,8mhz

Broadcast- 1610-510 khz

LF- 400- 150khz

there is alot of other stuff, but I don't know German
Old 03-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Night Wolf

this is all tube, right?

oh, and BTW in one of the manuals, there are schemitics too.....
Old 03-17-2003, 07:17 PM
Night Wolf

bottom part
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Night Wolf

the driver, dosn't seem to be made by anyone familer (DEW?)and what's that thing below it?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Night Wolf

and last, a shot of the inside of the bottom part showing the light and stuff
Old 03-17-2003, 07:25 PM
All around good guy

The manual and turntable look very similar to an old Grundig unit my mother-in-law used to own. i listed it on ebay and got no bidders, but someone did want the tubes and speakers. Check ebay to see if any others have sold. I think it those frequencies you mentioned might be short wave frequencies. Don't know much else. I have watched "Antiques Road Show" enough times to see some inexperienced furniture refinisher polishing and refinishing an old piece just enough to reduce it's value to a fraction of it's intact worth. Consult an antique expert before you proceed with any refinishing. A local auction house may be a good source too. Hope this helps.
ps, is that a 7070 in the background or a 6060? Gino

Last edited by Gino; 03-17-2003 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 PM
AK Member

NW
If you can scan the manuals, I work with a German chick; she can translate it for me and I'll pass it on to you.

Who knows, maybe you got a treasure there.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Night Wolf

Gino, yeah I was just going to wipe the dust etc.. off. I will do more searching tonight. the receiver that is in use right now (on the wall) is a 9090DB, it is real mint to, the one apart on the floor is another 9090DB that I am going to fix up nice, then sell, and the receiver in the back that you only see a part of is a Sansui G-7700 that I want to try and fix the tuner then sell it.

JoZom, Thanks, I'll see if I can get my scanner to work, it's 3 1/2 years old, and I never use it. If not, maybe I can get some decent pictures with my digital camera, Thanks
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Admin

That Saba stuff is still pretty popular in Germany from what an EBay customer of mine told me. I would clean it up and boot it off to Ebay land. I think it may fetch a little more then you may think. Oh yeah dont work on it or clean it. Just sell it the way it is.

http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...ty=MetaEndSort
Old 03-17-2003, 08:26 PM
Night Wolf

Grump, yeah I typed "Saba radio" before and saw some of them, they are getting a nice amount of money

I wasn't go to do major stuff to it, just wipe it down with a cloth and put furniture polish on it.

it is tube, and I don't think there are any tubes in it..... I don't think I would get much on ebay because I don't even know if it works or not, and it seems like there are no tubes in it etc... and how would I ship this thing? it's too big for FedEx or something and weighs a good 70+lbs.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:03 PM
Night Wolf

ok, I pluged it in, no smoke or anything, it is missing some tubes so there was no audio output, but the backlights came on, and when I pushed the buttons, on 1 of them the light under the button came on. I have no idea what to do with this thing, I am really not in the mood to mess with it.

I was thinking, just clean it up and put it on the 'bay, but how the hell would I ship this thing? it is large and heavy, and it might not bring in much if someone dosn't even know if the amp works and when they factor in shipping, that woudl leave the final bid on the unit pretty low.

I was looking at this on the 'bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3&category=933

the display, buttons etc.. looks like mine, but my display has a red backing, here are a few more pictures:

this is without the flash, and that made the shutter speed longer, so I couldn't hold the camera that steady, but if the flash was on, you woudln't see the display lit up:
Old 03-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Night Wolf

here is the left side of the amp
Old 03-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Night Wolf

the right side.... what is that thing all the way to the right? is that part of this?

I also notice someone at one point wanted the crd longer and cut it and added more wire, the "new" wire is thinner then the origanal part though.

does this look like it's worth anything? I am not doing anything to it tonight, maybe tomorrow I'll get a damp rag, wipe it down (some mildew on the side) and then get polish and see it it'll shine again.

I am sure if I was to sell it, someone would love to resotre this, as cosmetically it is in pretty good shape (missing that one knob though) but the shipping thing would become a problem.

Anybody have any ideas or anything to say?
Audiokarma