Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

In house AM Radio Interference during the day that disappears at night?

Greetings everyone, I like to listen to AM Radio to listen to various talkshows and also old time radio shows (Classic Radio Theater with Wyatt Cox.)

When I try to listen to some of the "local" 50kW radio stations out of places like Fort Wayne, Indiana (WOWO 1190 AM), Chicago (WLS 890 AM), Detroit (WJR 760 AM), or Cincinatti (WLW 700 AM) during the day I hear a horribly loud and annoying "Brrrrzzzz" noise/interference, that is so powerful that it basically knocks every strong "local" 50kW station off the air on all of my radios (it is most noticeable on the upper portion of the AM Band between 900 kHz and 1500 kHz and its very directional and seems to be originating from a specific spot in my basement that doesn't have anything electrical or electronic that could emit any sort of electronic interference.

The weird part about this interference is that its of a radiated type of interference because it also affects my battery operated radios, and another weird part about this intereference is that it only happens during the daylight hours, but during the night time hours the interference is completely gone, and it has only been happening for 2 weeks prior to two weeks ago I had no issues with this aforementioned interference issue.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this weird interference might be, and why it only happens during the daytime hours and not during the night time hours?

Last edited by vortalexfan; 04-18-2023 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Greetings everyone, I like to listen to AM Radio to listen to various talkshows and also old time radio shows (Classic Radio Theater with Wyatt Cox.)

When I try to listen to some of the "local" 50kW radio stations out of places like Fort Wayne, Indiana (WOWO 1190 AM), Chicago (WLS 890 AM), Detroit (WJR 760 AM), or Cincinatti (WLW 700 AM) during the day I hear a horribly loud and annoying "Brrrrzzzz" noise/interference, that is so powerful that it basically knocks every strong "local" 50kW station off the air on all of my radios (it is most noticeable on the upper portion of the AM Band between 900 kHz and 1500 kHz and its very directional and seems to be originating from a specific spot in my basement that doesn't have anything electrical or electronic that could emit any sort of electronic interference.

The weird part about this interference is that its of a radiated type of interference because it also affects my battery operated radios, and another weird part about this intereference is that it only happens during the daylight hours, but during the night time hours the interference is completely gone, and it has only been happening for 2 weeks prior to two weeks ago I had no issues with this aforementioned interference issue.

Anyone have any ideas as to what this weird interference might be, and why it only happens during the daytime hours and not during the night time hours?
Today, with all those modern appliances with switching devices/PSU/inverters etc, is more difficult to find one culprit. It can be various devices on at same time, in a near vicinity.
Solar power plant or a small industry with bad motor inverters or factory lightning come to mind, if is only at day. Staff can be changed equipment to bad ones at this time frame, perhaps... or a new enterprise nearby.
The good equipment of course have EMI mitigations, but is sure that various devices don't have any or seems to not have (or have lousy filters/PCB layout). A friend of mine loves to listen radio, and even at FM, certain devices plays havoc: he needs to switch off all LED lightning at his mechanical workshop to reduce noise, and one LED spotlight simply kills his preferred FM station...
Perhaps, with a less sensitive portable radio, you can find the direction of harm signal, to have a chance to find the culprit.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:03 AM
M is for Memory

One way to check if it's you or something in the neighborhood is to use a battery portable, and turn off the main breaker for a minute. If the noise stops it's probably you, it it persists it's probably neighbors. If it's you turn main back on and individually cycle the other breakers till the noise stops then figure out what the breaker that kills it powers and unplug that stuff one by one till you figure out the source.
Just basic troubleshooting.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-18-2023, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hmm, well the strange thing is that I have tried that and the noise doesn't go away, and I live in a strictly residential neighborhood so no industries near by to create interference and I only have one neighbor that lives close enough to me to be able to have any sort of effect on my house and the weird thing is that when I use my battery powered radio the further away from the center of the house I go the better the reception gets (the interference goes away).

When I used my battery radio to try and trace the interference down in my house the interference is worse in the basement in a small 1 cubic foot area of my basement that is near the floor drain in the basement, and in front of where my water heater and furnace sits and in front of where my utility sink for my washer and dryer sits, and as far as I know there is nothing in that area that has a switchmode power supply that can create any sort of interference. The weird thing is that my tube radios are affected the worst by the interference than my solid state radios are...

The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps there is a radon gas leak in my basement that might be causing an issue? I know that from what I read radon gas is more prevalent during the day and less prevalent during the evening and night time hours, and is completely dependant on the sun.
Since radon is a natural byproduct of uranium decay is it possible that my radios are acting like geiger counters or like a radon detector of sorts?
Old 04-18-2023, 02:11 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

"is it possible that my radios are acting like geiger counters or like a radon detector of sorts?" No.

Is the sound continuous , or repeating?
You said you tried "that." Do you mean you shut off the whole house at the electrical box?
Audiokarma
Old 04-18-2023, 02:20 PM

Do you have an electric water heater, or gas?
If electric, is the power on a special circuit that controls usage by time of day?
Does the interference disappear all night or come back in the early hours?
Old 04-18-2023, 02:30 PM
M is for Memory

Another thought could you have a smart water or gas meter that reads regardless of the electric utility...Those smart meters do transmit.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-18-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Another thought could you have a smart water or gas meter that reads regardless of the electric utility...Those smart meters do transmit.
Yes, but all day? And if it's the meter, it should be possible to detect that by taking the portable radio next to it.

The clues so far are not adding up.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:31 PM

Note that you can rotate the portable radio to try finding a null that points at the interference source.
https://www.electronics-notes.com/ar...s-tutorial.php
Old 04-18-2023, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
"is it possible that my radios are acting like geiger counters or like a radon detector of sorts?" No.

Is the sound continuous , or repeating?
You said you tried "that." Do you mean you shut off the whole house at the electrical box?
The sound is continous. and when I said I tried that I was referring to turning off the main breaker and turning on the main breaker.
Audiokarma
Old 04-18-2023, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Do you have an electric water heater, or gas?
If electric, is the power on a special circuit that controls usage by time of day?
Does the interference disappear all night or come back in the early hours?
i have a gas water heater, and as far as I know it has its own breaker, but its alway on (no timer or time control.)

I do have a smart meter for my water, but it doesn't emit any noise because I thought of that myself and when I put my radio upto it it didn't do anything, as for my gas meter, it too is a smart meter, but it doesn't do anything either when I hold the radio up to it, the only things around the house that makes any major noise is my refrigerator and stove, but you have to be right ontop of them with the radio to hear anything, but I wouldn't think that the stove and refrigerator would make any difference between night and day as far as what kind of RFI/EMI noise it puts out, unless the refrigerator and stove is backfeeding the noise through the house's wiring?

The refrigerator is actually the only appliance in my house that I have found that comes closest to producing the same RFI/EMI interference that my radio is picking up, but I didn't realize refrigerators were capable of putting out RFI and EMI noise, because I wouldn't of thought of a refrigerator as having a SMPS in it, but that doesn't explain why I am hearing the noise strongly in the basement in just one spot, and why the noise goes away at night.
Old 04-18-2023, 06:56 PM

The refrigerator or stove doesn't make any sense with a difference between day and night that you have diescribed.

The only things that run according to time of day I can think of are heating and A/C and possibly an electric water heater if it's on a utility-controlled circuit for time of day control.

Can't think what else could be to blame.

Is the time of start and stop pretty reliable, or does it vary from day to day?
Old 04-18-2023, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

“Local” stations ????

According to Radio Locater, all of the stations mentioned are some distance from Elkhart.

WOWO Ft Wayne - 57 miles
WLS Chicago- 97 miles
WJR Detroit - 145 miles
WLW Cincinnati - 182 miles

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/lo...req=&sort=freq

I would be surprised if any of these would be static free during daytime but they would be stronger at night.

jr
Old 04-19-2023, 10:27 AM

Another thing to consider is that the area where the interference seems loudest could just be the area where the radio signals are weakest. (Still doesn't identify the source of interference, though.)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wouldn't expect those stations to be strong in Elkhart anytime. They are too far away to be good in the daytime, except perhaps WOWO, and too close to be great at night. Certainly not what could be considered "local".
Audiokarma