Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Packard Bell ( Teledyne) Model #?

Hey Guys,
Back in the mid to late 70's I worked for a TV shop in Southern Indiana. We sold Zenith and RCA sets so that was the majority of the sets I worked on. Thrown in the mix was of course Philco, Sylvania, Magnavox and Admiral. One set I seldom saw was Packard Bell. I remember delivering a new Zenith set to a couple and taking away their trade in set. We always checked out the trade-ins to see if they would make a good used TV before we sent them to the scrap heap ( I wish I had that scrap heap today, lol ). Anyway, the trade in was a Packard Bell ( Teledyne ) set. Upon removing the back cover I discovered it was a vertical chassis design, all solid state and very similar to the Zenith vertical chassis sets. I don't remember what was wrong with it but it was something simple and easy to repair. The set had an awesome picture and I was quite impressed with it. To this day I have never seen another vertical chassis Packard Bell. I would like to know if anyone has a clue as to the chassis and model of this set ( I wouldn't think they would have made this for long ). Has anyone perhaps on the west cost ran into one of these sets? Any clues to information on this would be appreciated, I would even like to find one to purchase if possible.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 04-17-2019, 01:03 PM
M is for Memory

Never seen a SS PB but the vertical hinged chassis dated back well into the tube era...I own this PB Roundy with the upright chassis. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...t=Packard+bell

I also once has a PB Teledyne hybrid that was a rebadged GE C2 table set.

PB was mostly a west coast brand, but did have a dealer in Wi...if there wasn't a dealer near you and your not In the west it will be highly unlikely for you to find one local or even in reasonable driving distance.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-17-2019, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

They had a huge factory in West LA, on either Pico or Olympic Blvd. Gone now of course. We saw of few of them in the shop I worked in during high school and as I recall they were really great sets. A little different than the RCAs, Zeniths, and Motorolas we were used to. I think maybe my favorite set we ever worked on was a massive Packard-Bell combo that had what looked like a Zenith chassis standing up (I want to say it was modular and had tubes but I may have imagined that), and the stereo tuner looked like a radar screen.

Here is a video of a NOS PB console.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I mainly remember the L shaped chassis. IIRC it came in all tube
or hybrid. The GE 18" they sold was the all tube compacrton POS.
Very few PB sets were in NE but they seemed to be quite good
sets. They also had some Panasonic audio under PB. I would guess
they bought & relabeled sets instead of going through the time &
expense of designing a full SS chassis.

73 Zeno
LFOD !

BTW if anyone has an old Sams index where the color sets were marked
send me a list of folder ##'s & I will look them up. I am curious myself.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Electronic M,
I see what you mean by the tube type vertical chassis Packard Bell. I didn't know that existed either. That tube chassis looks a lot like a Curtis Mathes vertical chassis set. The Packard Bell I am hoping to find info on was totally SS and modular and very much like a vertical chassis Zenith of the era. Thank you all for the feedback.

Dennis
Audiokarma