Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Need Safety Advice - Scratched Screen

Just picked up a Motorola in a gorgeous cabinet. Got it home and realized there is a small scratch on the face, we're talking hairline about an inch long deep enough to get the tip of your fingernail in there. I'm not worried about performance here, it won't show when watching. I'm worried about the safety aspects. Searched the forum couldn't find any consensus. It's sad because this is a very bright, 80's CRT in there. Can I buff it out? Should I remove this CRT?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2018-03-21-12-41-02_resized.jpg (49.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Safety aspects? I doubt the integrity of the CRT has been compromised by something so minor. If it doesn’t affect performance I would leave it alone.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you're concerned, can you tolerate a sheet of lexan over the screen?
Or a self-adhesive overlay that turns it into "shatterproof" glass?
Unresearched example:
https://www.amazon.com/S4MC-Window-S...WR4RR7EG71KX9Y
Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
If you're concerned, can you tolerate a sheet of lexan over the screen?
Or a self-adhesive overlay that turns it into "shatterproof" glass?
Unresearched example:
https://www.amazon.com/S4MC-Window-S...WR4RR7EG71KX9Y
That's an interesting idea. I wonder if it would still be watchable afterward. Has anyone here ever heard or read about a scratch leading to an implosion? I don't know how deep it has to be to be a risk. I am looking for something to buff it out, I guess would be preferable as I'm anal about scratches on nice things, lol.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've never had it done (on a car), but what does a Safelight windshield repair look like, optically? I would think that would be better than abrading more glass away. The stress risers are going to be there to some extent whether or not the surrounding surface is smoothed. So any method will only improve cosmetics, not structural integrity. You just want to control the carnage if it goes. Any kids in the house? Do you watch real close?

The stick-on film would need to be stretched quite a bit for it to lay down smooth. Or just take your lumps and cut the overlaps away.
Audiokarma
Old 03-21-2018, 06:31 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I would think buffing something that deep would be less safe than leaving it. How about trying some clear nail polish to hide it? If it doesn't work, you can always remove it.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:49 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I would leave well enough alone. I may have mentioned this when we discussed the impact of removing the safety glue from a cataracted CRT, but on the couple of times I've busted up dead CRTs, it took a tremendous amount of force to bust it using a sledgehammer. I personally would not loose sleep over a teeny-tiny scratch.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:15 AM
The Resident Brony

I don't think it's worth worrying about unless you plan on dropping the tube on the ground.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:09 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

For what it's worth I had a 27" Panasonic console with a huge scratch in the screen, I'd say it went at least 2/3 of the way across. I didn't have it for long though, that scratch would really show up on a bright background.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else. I would leave it alone. Trying to remedy it might make it look worse. I doubt you have any serious impact to the safety of the CRT safety at all. If any it would be negligible.
Sony KV-1220U

Last edited by Popester; 03-22-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2018, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, thanks everyone. It bothers me to leave it but for now I will until I discover some method to remove it that is viable. Fortunately this model has sliding doors that cover the screen so that should be extra protection.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:20 PM
M is for Memory

When I was a kid I threw something (I had an antique erector set and various other heavy metal things to 'play' with) at our early 90's Zenith that gave it a DEEP screen gouge about 1/3 the size of a pea...It survived a good 5-10 years of me throwing various other stuff at till it was given away working when we upgraded.

I also have an early 70's Sylvania that looks like someone shot it bullseye in the center of the screen with a BB gun...Deep gouge, and it is fine...It looks like it was outside for a decade before I found it. Somehow I convinced that set to work.

Unless you plan to throw hammers at it you should be fine...If you do plan to throw hammers at it you probably have bigger problems to deal with.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4