Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Small Parts Storage

Guys, this is what I use to store my resistors, mica caps, safety caps, etc.
I cut the cardboard from Home Depot large moving boxes. I get 2 parts bins from each box. I lay out the pattern and cut it out using my #11 hobby knife. On the fold lines I cut part way through the cardboard. Once cut out I fold it and tape the edges using shipping tape.

The envelopes are #3 coin envelopes that are 4 1/4 high by 2 1/2 wide. I use a piece of 3/4 x 3 long of scotch tape and tape over the bottom flap. This prevents the other envelopes from catching on the flap when replacing the envelope back into the storage box.

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue to glue in the divider. It helps to draw a 1/4 wide space on the "inside" of the box before folding and taping. These lines are then used to locate the divider.

The pictures should provide the details. A pdf drawing of the layout is included with this post.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parts Bin.pdf (7.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 PM
The Resident Brony

Noice.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:02 PM
M is for Memory

I've always preferred drawer organizers like these: https://www.amazon.com/Akro-Mils-101.../dp/B003TV3NJ2

I find them at garage sales and thrift shops regularly for dirt cheap, they are a heck of a lot less effort than making my own, and I can see inside them to track parts stocks.
I use them for my cap stocks and keep them at the back of the work bench or on some adjacent flat surface.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Small Parts Storage

Whatever works -- each person has their own preferences.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Whatever works -- each person has their own preferences.
Yep! My personal favorite is using the 1 pint plastic containers with wide screw on tops that Sorbetto and Gelato come in. Preparing the container for component storage is a very yummy experience.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Yep! My personal favorite is using the 1 pint plastic containers with wide screw on tops that Sorbetto and Gelato come in. Preparing the container for component storage is a very yummy experience.

jr

Haha! Bring home a freezer-full and explain to the wife that you bought a bunch of "storage containers," but for some reason they came with frozen stuff in them...
Old 12-15-2017, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Crist Rigott;3193431]Guys, this is what I use to store my resistors, mica caps, safety caps, etc.
I cut the cardboard from Home Depot large moving boxes. I get 2 parts bins from each box. I lay out the pattern and cut it out using my #11 hobby knife. On the fold lines I cut part way through the cardboard. Once cut out I fold it and tape the edges using shipping tape.

The envelopes are #3 coin envelopes that are 4 1/4 high by 2 1/2 wide. I use a piece of 3/4 x 3 long of scotch tape and tape over the bottom flap. This prevents the other envelopes from catching on the flap when replacing the envelope back into the storage box.

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue to glue in the divider. It helps to draw a 1/4 wide space on the "inside" of the box before folding and taping. These lines are then used to locate the divider.

The pictures should provide the details. A pdf drawing of the layout is included with this post.

QUOTE]
As usual, a great deal of attention to detail.
I was never that patient for a project like that. I'm better with the electronic restorations, where I do a very respectable job.