Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2022, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith G500: In It's Natural Habitat

Alternate title: "Hey, I got one of those!"

When watching old movies on TV my enjoyment is enhanced by watching for vintage radios in their natural habitat. It's like birdwatching, but I don't have leave my natural habitat-- the couch.

Despite the advertising showing the radio at the beach, etc., I always thought of the Transoceanic as a sort of hobbyist radio. But maybe I was wrong.

In this scene from Born Yesterday (1950) actress Billie Holliday is listening to music, but the radio is not shown. Broderick Crawford steps into the scene and abruptly turns down the volume. Holliday picks up the set and walks away. You still can't see the radio, but this piques my interest--what kind of DC portable is this?

Voila--it's a new (new because this is a 1950 film) G500 in the home of a wealthy couple.
The scene demanded a DC portable so the actress didn't have to awkwardly unplug the set. My response--"Hey, I got one of those!"

The film won one Oscar and won five Oscars in 1951 but, alas, no mention of the radio.