Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2024, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

A quick CTC 16 question

I recently picked up a CTC 16 it's in amazing condition. The cabinet looks nearly new and so does the flyback. First inspection shows some odd stuff. The UHF knob doesn't turn at all, the pilot light for the VHF knob is blown, the cups in the picture tube look brand new, the chassis just has some light dust on it mostly close to the picture tube, all the tubes look to be original RCA, the flyback looks very good, but I see the tube has a parallel isolater on it. I can't tell if it's low hour or high hour? All the screws are still in the set, the Yoke isn't over heated and brittle. It's odd. Now the bad. I the previous owner had it for 20 years and was saving it with the intention of "Doing something Crafty" so she never used it. When she did decide to sell it she plugged it in and got a blue raster. Considering I dont know enough about my test jig to use it, I went to my storage unit and plugged it in to see what happens. After wiggling some tubes the TV fired right up like I was using it last night. Albeit with a dim blue screen. The bias switch was set to the bottom and the grid controls were set to about a 1/4 turn from off. I tried running the set without the Isolation Brightener for a second and the picture was the same with no difference in brightness. Unfortunately my B&K 465 doesn't have the adapter to test the tube. I'm thinking of buying a brightener and seeing if I can make an adapter, but I don't know the G1 and G2 settings for that tube. Is there anyway to gauge the health of this set before I start recapping the chassis?