Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

1977 RCA High End Remote Set Free

Hi, I am in Portland Oregon and picked this RCA CTC 81 remote set up with another set. I am checking to see if anyone is looking for one of these since it is kinda rare. It had a straight line on the screen due to the main vertical capacitor I added a jumper to a new capacitor and the set works and makes a good picture. It will also need the Service line switch replaced. I added a jumper to make it work. The remote works and the set is in good condition.
It will also need a set of 6X9 speakers. I needed them for another set.

Not sure why Video karma uploaded the picks upside down. They are not this way on my computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200725_104342.jpg (62.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20200725_105859.jpg (55.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 20200725_110259.jpg (62.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20200725_104356.jpg (68.4 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by damen; 07-26-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ah, the padded remote. I sold a few of them back in the day.

The 81 (and 74 version) is a serious performer. Really reliable and built like a tank. The vertical output cap in the can you changed was a common issue, and solder connections on the combo very/horiz module at the pin connectors can get iffy. Also, I've had a couple where the octal yoke plug had cold solder, but otherwise a horse.

John
Old 08-01-2020, 04:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I was in 9th grade, I found a 19" one of these in the alley behind the town's "RCA" TV shop - our little town had two, I worked at the Zenith/Quasar one. The remote was laying on top of it. I loaded that thing in the back of my Vega wagon and brought it home, only to discover that the CRT was bad; almost zero emission from the red gun.

Next day I brought it to work, opened it up, put it on the tester, and, yup...almost nothing on red, the other two were great. Rejuve didn't make a difference. This was the first set I had ever seen with OSD and I kept it for a year or so in my room, watching it with that horrible picture just because it was so cool to have remote and OSD. The remote was ultrasonic, even though it had all those buttons. You could year it shrieking different tones if you put it up to your ear.

I don't remember what happened to it. The set was only a couple of years old at the time and it would have made sense to put a new CRT in it. And now that I think about it again after all these years, I wonder what the set was doing on the ground in the alley with the remote neatly laid out on top. I really hope I didn't take something that wasn't trash...