Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith HiFi VCR Model VR4257HF Issues

Hello everyone, I had picked up from the local electronics recycler/Computer repair shop a 1997 Zenith HiFi VCR Model VR4257HF that when I power it on it attempts to go through the "bootup" process and it gets stuck part of the way through and then shuts off and pops up a "ERR" message on the front panel display.

I actually did have it working for a little while which I had repaired it by replacing the drive belt underneath the mechanism but then it started acting up again and so I tried replacing the belt again (it wasn't a brand new belt I put in the first time it was one I had salvaged off of an older Panasonic VCR from the 1990s that bit the dust but the belts were still good on it), and unfortunately that didn't fix it this time.

I was thinking maybe dirty mode switch contacts but I'm not sure if that would cause this issue or not.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this VCR's issues its having?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Hello everyone, I had picked up from the local electronics recycler/Computer repair shop a 1997 Zenith HiFi VCR Model VR4257HF that when I power it on it attempts to go through the "bootup" process and it gets stuck part of the way through and then shuts off and pops up a "ERR" message on the front panel display.
Tape crystal indication at center of mechanism is a trouble-spot for this Zenith VCR too.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Tape crystal indication at center of mechanism is a trouble-spot for this Zenith VCR too.
What do you mean by tape crystal indication at the center of the mechanism?
Old 02-14-2021, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think he's talking about the LED light that shines through the clear leader tape at the end of the reel.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:54 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
I think he's talking about the LED light that shines through the clear leader tape at the end of the reel.
Yes, out of 7 of these models seen I replaced LED's in 5 of those models in the 90's.

Marked LD501 on the schematic. Zenith part number for a "kit" is 903-1487-01. I don't remember what is in the "kit". But, if I speculate it might be a resistor to lower the current draw of the LED to increase its effective life.

As I remember the symptom of the bad LED was that the cassette housing would start cycling as soon as it was plugged in. I don't remember an error indication.

Good luck with your unit!

Last edited by Blast; 02-14-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Audiokarma