Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
It's a neighborhood in Detroit bounded by Edison and Boston streets just off Woodward. It was built by the wealthy industrialists of the late 19th and early 20th century like Ford, Briggs, Couzens, Fisher, Kresge (K-Mart).

Darryl
Thank You Darryl , I appreciate your answer , I had never heard before that Detroit has a Boston Edison neighborhood . Even at my age I am happy when I learn something new each day
Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Makes me sad, too, 'cause I've studied about the car industry virtually all my life. Places lie East Grand Blvd, Highland Park, Piquette Avenue, et al, are kinda sacred to me. Detroit was the envy of the world at one time...
Funny you should post this the same day that the pedestrian bridge at the Packard Plant collapsed. It's really quite sad. It was one of the more visible symbols of the Packard legacy and now it's gone. It kind of spooks me on a personal level as I'd pass under it at LEAST once a week, and often times two or three times a week during the summer to get to Belle Isle.

Pictured here today, and back in 1954.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50758819_557857264730152_306315817715236864_n.jpg (68.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Packardplant_02_750-700x489.jpg (75.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Does Detroit have a big Polish population, & did a lot of 'em work at Packard ? Reason I ask, I remember reading in a "Motor Trend" a LONG time ago, they were reviewing a 1940 Packard 160 wagon, & they made a comment that its interior was "Made by elderly Polish craftsmen working in the East Grand Blvd" plant. Think I'd read elsewhere about the East Grand Blvd plant, as well. Funny how details can stick in yr noggin like that for almost 50 yrs...
Old 01-23-2019, 07:33 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Does Detroit have a big Polish population, & did a lot of 'em work at Packard ? Reason I ask, I remember reading in a "Motor Trend" a LONG time ago, they were reviewing a 1940 Packard 160 wagon, & they made a comment that its interior was "Made by elderly Polish craftsmen working in the East Grand Blvd" plant. Think I'd read elsewhere about the East Grand Blvd plant, as well. Funny how details can stick in yr noggin like that for almost 50 yrs...
Yes, Detroit had a considerable Polish population, and the Metro area still does. Hamtramck was almost entirely Polish at one time (upwards of 90 percent), and Detroit had a very large Polish neighborhood aptly named "Poletown". Most of Poletown was demolished with the blessing of Mayor Coleman A. Young to make way for the GM Poletown plant, one of the many plants GM recently announced the closure of. The Poles all went out to the suburbs, Troy, Sterling Heights, Utica, Madison Heights, Roseville, and Warren in particular.

Cynics claim that Young gave the approval to demolish Poletown as retribution for the destruction of the Paradise Valley/Black Bottom/Hastings Street areas that were exclusively black, and destroyed to make way for the freeways in the 1950s and 1960s.

The remnants of Poletown and Hamtramck are both within 5-10 minutes driving distance of the Packard Plant, so it isn't unreasonable to assume that a good number of the workers were Polish. They weren't all though; my Grandfather was an ethnic German, lived in a predominantly German and Belgian neighborhood, and drove about 10-15 minutes to Packard until he left in 1954 when it was clear that Packard's days were numbered.

Actually, he claimed that the signs the company was having trouble financially were starting to creep up, even to the guys working the assembly line, as early as the winter-spring of 1946.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The legend of the Cormorant was/is true... Actually, I think when Packard merged with was bought/bought Studebaker was when they started to die. Another thing was their postwar re-styling of the 1941/42 model, just didn't work/look too well. They couldn't afford a totally new bodyshell til the 1952 models, & the previous models always looked kinda fat & gross, not that the '52 model was any style queen. It was derided as "High Pockets" even in the factory, as the windows were too narrow, & the door handles were mounted DIRECTLY under them. Packard's 1955 model had most of the old styling magic back, for the most part, but Nance had made them move into that totally new plant. New V-8 motor, new chassis., new body, new plant, it was too much, & they had a multitude of problems w/that car. The 1956 models were infinitely better, but their reputation was shot, & Packard-the REAL ones anyway-were killed at the end of the '56 model year.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Uncle Sandy, You and i are life long Tennesseans. I think our collective problem is that we haven't realized that the world around us has changed. right now as i type the world has collectively forgotten about reciprocity. In this time about 50% of us seem to hate the other 50% of the population. It seems that the old axiom of "i disagree(respect) your view but defend your right to believe it" has been forgotten. A few years ago i sought therapy to deal with anxiety, my big breakthrough occurred when i realized that i wasn't alone in my suffering but saw that others are suffering by observing their actions. those people who did bad things to you, did so because of bad stuff did to them by other people that raised them wrong, without positive support that taught them good values. IT sucks to be the unexpected victims of their problems, through no fault of your own but that is the way stuff happens. it just so happens that there was this fellow in Judea about 2000 years ago who taught that it is best to forgive your brother 70 times seven and love your brother even if he/she is wrong. you may lose out here and now but reap rewards in the future for all of us. Lotsa love to you and a extra special wish of good luck to go your way, Logan
Old 01-29-2019, 03:16 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
When I 1st came back here, I was VERY angry over what had happened to me, & wrote a thread-full of hate , bitterness, & hyperbole It apparently-RIGHTFULLY so-caused many of you to complain to the mod staff.
Wow Im so sorry buddy...I didnt see that......

No need to say sorry though,you have been thru alot!!!!!

We love you Sandy!!!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
On a positive note Sandy I managed to find and extract that Panasonic TV the other day...I still gotta make sure it still works and find suitable packing material to enable it to reach you intact.
It will be in the mail within an hour. It does work but the volume control is REALLY scratchy and it doesn't want to consistently make sound unless maxed (max ain't exceptionally loud though)...The TV plug on the power adaptor looks a bit fragile but aside from looks seems to be fine. Enjoy your new to you tiny monochrome TV.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have several of its cousins, the later models from the mid-late '80s, including 2 of the fabled COLOR versions. The "Family" will be whole again.... One of the neat things about these Widdle fellers is that you can have a pretty credible collection of 'em, & haul 'em around, if you need to, in a large shoebox... Admittedly, they AIN'T much for actually watching, for any length of time, but they sho'nuff are Kewl as all get-out...