Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2015, 02:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

"ATOMIC" G-E 408 Ebay Morphed into Zenith!!

Some Ebay vintage electronics listings can be SO ridiculous and often very deceptive. Somebody has what I consider to be a fairly run of the mill G-E model 408 title listed as a "VINTAGE SYMPHONY HALL HALF MOON WORKING ATOMIC AM-FM TUBE RADIO, WORKS" Then down in his written descriptive that will and perhaps has generated the bids he goes into a big to do about how the radio is nearly in mint condition; almost perfect. Finally he throws out something to the effect of: Don't let this once in a lifetime ZENITH pass you by!!!

Now the scary part is that it sits at $92.00 with 20 bids and 10hrs left to go until the high speed Internet last second triggers get pulled by what I believe to be "collectors" of sorts with perhaps more money than knowledge about real world value and other aspects of radio collecting and/or restoration.

I don't want this to turn into a rant. Really, I get a chuckle out of a lot of what I see. With this character I sent a message telling him that I owned the country's largest electronic communications museum and that we were prepared to throw out 4 digit figures if he could verify that it really was an "atomic" radio perhaps the product of special collaboration in nuclear physics in radio and television by G-E and Zenith during and after WW2!!!

I also told him that I had contacted the F.C.C. as well as the A.T.F. in regards to the safe and legal sale and shipment of plutonium based products to protect us from government red tape!! Finally I asked if he thought that it was safe.... Sorry, I know this was a bit over the top, but so was the advertisement, and I seem to see more and more FALSE upward price trends based on one charlatan getting lucky and then every "estate auction" attendee on the face of the planet is digging up the same stuff and the prices rise quickly.

What are some opinions here on the G-E 408 if anyone is even familiar with them. Early 50s I think, AA5, Bakelite case. I say its a $50 radio varying up or down on condition. There are a couple of simple Philco Transitone models that are on this weird swing. I have them pictured in a classified post here as I have both with cracked cases and seek replacements. One is the Philco 51-532 I think. I have seen it called the "robot head." The other is a late 40s model that people call the "Hippo." Again, plain AA5, Bakelite sets.

Now any Philco to me is a good Philco; or can be. From the 30s through the 50s they made some GREAT performing yet simple, easily repaired (often) radios and TVs (save the Predicta).

I know often words aren't much without pictures and my pictures are posted already in the classifieds. VK won't let you duplicate shots. I may snag some from the Web soon and post for those who aren't familiar with these models. You can look up the ATOMIC GE ZENITH on Praybay!