Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had no idea CBS would have attempted to use a B&W TK11 for NTSC color!

It is does appear feasible however. And the CBS method would eliminate convergence problems. My guess how it worked was like this:

The only modification would to speed up the disc to 6 x 29.97Hz (NTSC picture rate). This means the CBS camera color field rate would be raised from 144 f/s (6 x 24) to 179.82 f/s (6 x 29.97). The transfer tubes are simply primitive rescaling converters.

I suspect the picture resolution was not as good as a TK40, but the solution would at least have likely made Bill Paley less angry with Peter Goldmark.

Funny I saw Wayne's excellent descriptive posting only after I guessed the process. The article said 180 color frames per second nominal but the actual NTSC rate would be 179.82 color frames per second.

Last edited by Penthode; 01-06-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:53 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
... And the CBS method would eliminate convergence problems...
Actually, the scheme with one monochrome CRT and three storage tubes would have the same registration problems as a 3-tube camera, and the later scheme with 3 CRTs could be twice as bad. In my opinion, the Chromacoder was a "tour de farce" as bad as RCA's experiments with high-speed linear video tape.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Actually, the scheme with one monochrome CRT and three storage tubes would have the same registration problems as a 3-tube camera, and the later scheme with 3 CRTs could be twice as bad. In my opinion.
Yes my mistake. I confused the "transfer tubes" with simple photoelectric pickup devices. Of course the transfer tubes are creating the final 525 rasters which have to be registered.