Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Not that I feel any need to defend my interpretation to anyone with a history of trying to antagonize me, but those things aren't necessarily accurate; consider all of the errors in song lyrics found online. Besides, I've heard the stuff called "chronic" many times so what I believe Shorty said makes sense.

Unlike Scotty while on deep space station K-7, I'm keeping my cool. I've had a lot of opportunities to build on that skill.

Enuf now.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Not that I feel any need to defend my interpretation to anyone with a history of trying to antagonize me, but those things aren't necessarily accurate; consider all of the errors in song lyrics found online. Besides, I've heard the stuff called "chronic" many times so what I believe Shorty said makes sense.

Unlike Scotty while on deep space station K-7, I'm keeping my cool. I've had a lot of opportunities to build on that skill.

Enuf now.
I hope I wasn't the one to offend you!
I never heard the term and never seen the movie.
Pushing 74 YO and living in the past.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Yes, my mothers parents, but yes and no on the compassionate. They are complaining it's hard on them being here, as if their grandson being homeless isn't hard on me.. Also, they have some of the most hell bent, illogical rules I have ever heard out of a persons mouth: Can't use my laptop outside of my room because it's anti-social. I'm ok though to lock myself in a room with my laptop though? Then ask me to fix their computer to "earn my money", yet wouldn't that be anti-social as well? Wtaf?

And they talk to me about being anti social with a laptop when they are GLUED to the TV screen watching all sorts of things and then spying on their neighbors. How in the? My mind hurts, and I just feel like running away *again*, because why suffer under some of the most illogical rules that make no sense, and taking away my life? What they don't realize is, I work on my laptop to earn money as well via my YouTube channel. I edit videos, I script them, find source material, etc. But totally anti-social and they think it's unhealthy. I am doing something to earn money, they are watching TV to kill time until.....well I guess until they pass. Sad as it is, that's really what they are doing.

But I'm totally in the wrong here. I'm tired of illogical thinking, it makes not only no sense whatsoever, it is the reason I have been kicked out of two locations now, because I seem to be the only one with logical though, except my mother. My mother lives with her parents as well, so my mother is in this house as well, and SHE can't stand it either and plans to possibly get an apartment once she can, so we both can just escape. She doesn't like my old TV collection either, but at least she understands why I do it, and doesn't tell me *no*.
Unfortunately for you, your grandparents' rules don't have to be logical. It is their home, and they can come up with any crazy shit they want.

I highly recommend leaving the TV collection behind, considering it a total loss, and trying to become independent first. There are more televisions out there where your sets came from, but if your situation deteriorates much further in the short term, it could be difficult to dig yourself out of long term. Start by looking for work, any sort of work. There is plenty of work that isn't terribly taxing physically for anyone willing to put in the effort. The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been since what, the 1950s? WWII perhaps? Put yourself out there and try to find something, and soon.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm tired of illogical thinking, it makes not only no sense whatsoever, it is the reason I have been kicked out of two locations now, because I seem to be the only one with logical though, except my mother.
Hmm...maybe you can learn your lesson and not argue with your grandparents?
Old 10-29-2018, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ben is 100% correct , a job is key here , self reliance builds self confidence and people are attracted to confident people . Not cocky , but confident . Being needy is a personality trait/state of mind that most people run from .
Audiokarma
Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
But I'm totally in the wrong here. I'm tired of illogical thinking, it makes not only no sense whatsoever, it is the reason I have been kicked out of two locations now, because I seem to be the only one with logical though, except my mother. My mother lives with her parents as well, so my mother is in this house as well, and SHE can't stand it either and plans to possibly get an apartment once she can, so we both can just escape. She doesn't like my old TV collection either, but at least she understands why I do it, and doesn't tell me *no*.
Cold logic is how you can win a chess game, or troubleshoot a defective piece of equipment, but it doesn't help much in interactions with other humans. People are not logical, generally speaking, they're emotional, they're superstitious, and above all they need to feel appreciated.

Try and think about two things - 1. How to make your grandparents happy, such that a roof will continue to be over your head, and 2. How to make enough money that you're free to pursue whatever it is that makes YOU happy.

To achieve the first goal, don't worry about who is right or wrong, just focus on making them happy. Do some cooking and cleaning, be there to talk to them, and don't get in the way of their routines.

Unless you're Jay Leno, a Youtube channel is a hobby pursuit, it is very unlikely to pay the rent. They probably perceive this as a useless way to spend time, and if you do a calculation of time invested versus cashflow, I really doubt they will be proved wrong. How many dollars an hour can you make doing this? How many dollars a week does that turn into, and per month? Can this money pay the bills? If not, find something that can.

I guarantee, if you get up at 7 in the morning every day, make breakfast, and then start working on a plan to achieve something, and then work on doing it, you'll end up doing something positive. Make a spreadsheet - what is the minimum monthly cash flow you need to keep the lights on? Then focus on how to get this money. I would suggest to suspend any and all hobby activities until this much money is coming to you every month. No job? then the job is applying for jobs...

Once you get your house in order, you can then re-start hobbies, but on your own terms. At that time it will be a rewarding break from normal routine.

Another thing to consider, is that grandparents won't be around forever. Mine are gone, and yours will be too - Are you sure you want your memories of them to be arguments about where and when to use a computer?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I hope I wasn't the one to offend you!
I never heard the term and never seen the movie.
Pushing 74 YO and living in the past.
No man, you're cool. I live in the past as well for the most part, I'm a living anachronism.

The film has its funny moments but it certainly isn't my style. I find the first two Scary Movies too dirty but I'll put up with the bad parts for cheap laughs mainly at the antics of Shorty. Bringing in David Zucker to direct the third really improved things.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-29-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Cold logic is how you can win a chess game, or troubleshoot a defective piece of equipment, but it doesn't help much in interactions with other humans. People are not logical, generally speaking, they're emotional, they're superstitious, and above all they need to feel appreciated.

Try and think about two things - 1. How to make your grandparents happy, such that a roof will continue to be over your head, and 2. How to make enough money that you're free to pursue whatever it is that makes YOU happy.

To achieve the first goal, don't worry about who is right or wrong, just focus on making them happy. Do some cooking and cleaning, be there to talk to them, and don't get in the way of their routines.

Unless you're Jay Leno, a Youtube channel is a hobby pursuit, it is very unlikely to pay the rent. They probably perceive this as a useless way to spend time, and if you do a calculation of time invested versus cashflow, I really doubt they will be proved wrong. How many dollars an hour can you make doing this? How many dollars a week does that turn into, and per month? Can this money pay the bills? If not, find something that can.

I guarantee, if you get up at 7 in the morning every day, make breakfast, and then start working on a plan to achieve something, and then work on doing it, you'll end up doing something positive. Make a spreadsheet - what is the minimum monthly cash flow you need to keep the lights on? Then focus on how to get this money. I would suggest to suspend any and all hobby activities until this much money is coming to you every month. No job? then the job is applying for jobs...

Once you get your house in order, you can then re-start hobbies, but on your own terms. At that time it will be a rewarding break from normal routine.

Another thing to consider, is that grandparents won't be around forever. Mine are gone, and yours will be too - Are you sure you want your memories of them to be arguments about where and when to use a computer?
Truly excellent advice and a sure fire recipe for success. Well put too. The winning formula is simple, you just have to do it.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update: My grandfather worked out some things with me, and we all helped each other this morning set things up. I was surprised, because of my loss of my TV collection, my grandfather gave me his last and only CRT TV left, to help me out. Wow, total shocker.

Well, it's a newer CRT, I'm guessing one of the last perhaps, certainly not a real RCA. But it has YPrPb inputs, and oddly has an ATSC tuner. I didn't know they sold standard definition CRT's with ATSC tuners in them.

https://i.imgur.com/l3iP6mw.jpg

So, I have one TV now, at least. I'll keep it at just one, but it needs to be cleaned, tuned up, etc. I still have a CRT tester, and to my amazement, ALL guns are super strong, so it may have been low hours, despite the scuffs on the set itself..

Anyway, my grandparents and I are getting along well today, I had a nice long talk with my grandmother last night about a lot of things.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:36 PM
60s Throwback

Best of luck to you!!
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Update: My grandfather worked out some things with me, and we all helped each other this morning set things up. I was surprised, because of my loss of my TV collection, my grandfather gave me his last and only CRT TV left, to help me out. Wow, total shocker.

Well, it's a newer CRT, I'm guessing one of the last perhaps, certainly not a real RCA. But it has YPrPb inputs, and oddly has an ATSC tuner. I didn't know they sold standard definition CRT's with ATSC tuners in them.

So, I have one TV now, at least. I'll keep it at just one, but it needs to be cleaned, tuned up, etc. I still have a CRT tester, and to my amazement, ALL guns are super strong, so it may have been low hours, despite the scuffs on the set itself..

Anyway, my grandparents and I are getting along well today, I had a nice long talk with my grandmother last night about a lot of things.
Getting back on track already, noice. We can't do everything by ourselves or be prepared for everything, that's fo shizzle. Also, there's no "one size fits all" approach to living. The FROG method (it's an acronym, look it up if you like) works very well for me; I was resistant to relinquishing the position of first in command of my own life for many years but it's just better this way, I'm far more relaxed knowing my back is being watched at all times. I've gotten out of enough scrapes by unexpected means to know it works, and there's no burden of feeling like I need to "earn" that favor.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yea, I'm starting to get back on track. I setup my room, I HAVE a room.

Hooked up the TV, it may be BPC, but it doesn't have a bad picture. https://i.imgur.com/9zubbWr.jpg

Hooked up my PS2 via YPrPb, will use it mostly for DVD movies and stuff. I don't play much games anymore, but I bet PS1 games will look fantastic on it.. My grandparents are really pulling through today, and helping me do this.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:07 PM
<----Zenith C845

I was very sorry to read of your misfortunes, but am glad you are starting to rebuild things. I hope everything works out for you. I had a stepmother in the early 1970s I never got along with. We were always drawing sparks from each other; at one point, when I was 17 years old, and in the middle of that winter yet (!), she locked me out of her house (my dad and I were living with her at the time; they had had a huge argument over something, don't know what, which led to her locking me out after he stormed out of the house in the middle of the night; long story, though I think she may have been drunk at the time). She had very serious problems; she wound up divorcing my dad and we moved back to our old home town.

After all the monkey business and worse I put up with while we were living with that woman, I was never so glad in all my life as I was when my dad told me we were moving back to my old stomping grounds. When I left my stepmother's house for the last time in mid-1975, after I graduated high school, I felt like a giant weight had been lifted from my shoulders; however, I had nightmares for the entire first year after I moved about her chasing me.

Anyway, again, I hope things work out for you in the future. Your dad may eventually come around, or maybe not; only time will tell.

BTW, that little RCA table model TV you have looks great; it must be one of a very few CRT TVs equipped with an ATSC digital tuner. I don't know if you have tried it on cable or with an antenna, but if the CRT is strong, you should get an excellent picture, now and for the foreseeable future. It isn't a "true" RCA (I have a 19" table model "RCA" set in my bedroom, bought new when I moved here in late 1999, but unused since I got a 19" flat screen eight years ago and replaced it with a 32" FS set six months ago), but it was likely made by Thomson, and is probably better in a lot of ways than many of today's flat screens. I don't know how old your set is, but if it is a CTC203 or later, it will have a tuner that is mounted separately from the main chassis. RCA (Thomson)'s earlier TVs, including mine (CTC185A7 chassis) had the tuner mounted on the main board, which caused no end of problems--especially when the ground points around the shield over the tuner came loose and allowed noise to enter the "jungle" IC, corrupting said chip in an instant. I bet RCA replaced/reprogrammed dozens if not hundreds (!) of those chips under warranty until the CTC203 came out.

Hang in there. Every cloud has a silver lining. It sounds as if, as I and VK member Jon A. said, you are starting to get back on track. Hopefully, things will continue to improve for you.

Best of luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 10-30-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

The "SDTV" on the upper left bezel has a double meaning. It stands for "standard definition television", but "DTV" is bolded to signify that it can receive digital broadcast signals.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Getting back on track already, noice. We can't do everything by ourselves or be prepared for everything, that's fo shizzle. Also, there's no "one size fits all" approach to living. The FROG method (it's an acronym, look it up if you like) works very well for me; I was resistant to relinquishing the position of first in command of my own life for many years but it's just better this way, I'm far more relaxed knowing my back is being watched at all times. I've gotten out of enough scrapes by unexpected means to know it works, and there's no burden of feeling like I need to "earn" that favor.
I've never met someone that lived by 'Frequency-resolved optical gating' before...You must be an interesting person.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma