Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 PM
THE A-1 WIRELESS MAN

Exclamation Baird Televisor On UK Ebay

This would be an incredible buy for someone appears to be in nearly pristine condition it's listed on eBay United Kingdom. Sorry I couldn't get the link to paste here if you type in Baird televisor it should pop up only $3,000 us I wonder what shipping to the US would be on something like that.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Looking For Time

Nice reproduction indeed. They even have the tuner! Would make for a really great display.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183352450057

Old 08-04-2018, 01:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone know the history of this reproduction? Never heard of it.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok , and now for one man's opinion only , , ,

While I think it's all well and good to build a copy of a mechanical television , the fact that it appears no vacuum tubes were employed in it's construction means that I honestly wouldn't want it , at any price . In my humble opinion if the intent was to build a replica of Baird's TV , that replica should have used circuits as close as possible to what was available to Baird at the time he built the original , silicon chips need not apply .

Not hating by any means , it's just that with all the modern electronics , for me the magic just isn't there
Audiokarma
Old 08-04-2018, 12:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Baird replica may be a reproduction set made by Denis Asseman http://www.earlytelevision.org/DuPuo...a-plessey.html
Old 08-04-2018, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Denis passed away several years ago. He was a member of the UK NBTV society/club (Narrow Band Television). I talked to him at one of the early ETF conventions where he demoed his Televisor. He brought along color photos in a folder of his previous creations and said he could be contracted to produce a custom reproduction of any mechanical television.

His web site seems to be preserved at

http://users.skynet.be/telehor/Replica.htm

Last edited by rld-tv01; 08-04-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe this was Roger Dupouy's set:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/DuPuo...a-plessey.html

He has sold a few of his sets over the past few years.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Baird Televisor did not use vacuum tubes. Just a single neon lamp. In fact based on the pictures, it looks like an excellent replica. Not any different I could see from the original.

The tuner originally would have been a medium wave (am) radio. In the early 30's when it received over the air broadcasts, two am receivers were required: one for sound and one for vision. The BBC obligingly handed the two London radio transmitters at Brookman's Park (Regional and National) to Baird for television after the end of the normal radio broadcast day.

The separate "Radio" tuner element included in the sale in the period cabinet appears to be a device likely to convert the standard definition 625/50 to the Baird standard 30/12.5. That would be the only way to actually display a picture on the Televisor

Last edited by Penthode; 08-16-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yep , knowing that the actual component displaying the picture was a mechanical device with a neon lamp , it IS the "tuner" to which I was referring ....
Audiokarma
Old 08-17-2018, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Yep , knowing that the actual component displaying the picture was a mechanical device with a neon lamp , it IS the "tuner" to which I was referring ....
Well perhaps I didn't understand your criticism. The tuner would have originally been simply any am radio receiver of the period. Baird did not manufacture the receiver only the spinning disc display. Who ever added the new electronics in the old style cabinet was only attempting to conceal the more elaborate requirement these days to provide a signal. I didn't see anything wrong with that nor did it distract from the accurate replica of the Baird Televisor.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Well perhaps I didn't understand your criticism.
No vacuum tubes = no "magic" to me . When Baird's display first operated it wasn't connected to transistorized (modern semiconductor) circuits , , can't say it any clearer ......
Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
No vacuum tubes = no "magic" to me . When Baird's display first operated it wasn't connected to transistorized (modern semiconductor) circuits , , can't say it any clearer ......
Then do you collect and watch any vintage tvs? Or do you simply collect and not switch them on? I ask because you cannot watch a vintage tv without attaching it modern semiconductor circuits.

Perhaps the Baird Televisor would be more appealing connected to a 1930 vintage radio? The radio in turn could be fed with the modulated video signal derived from the same semiconductor circuits.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Perhaps the Baird Televisor would be more appealing connected to a 1930 vintage radio?

Yes , EXACTLY , yes it would . Now for all I care you can send the signal to that 1930 vintage radio by modern means , or even future means if your THAT good , but to make a true reproduction of the "user end" receiving device consisting of Baird's mechanical display coupled to a tube radio , in my opinion transistorized circuits just don't do the reproduction justice .

I now believe I've made my point here as clear as it's gonna get . Good Bye .......