Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Panasonic TR-535 Pop up Blade Runner prop

Picked up this clean Panasonic 5" Popup set today, it's been at the Thrift for a couple weeks or more but since it was half off day I decided to spend $7 and get it.

It's in good shape and works great, the battery pack is missing though, it would be shot anyway.

This model was used as a prop in the movie Blade Runner, mounted upside down to look extra futuristic, that is probably pure Hollywood fiction since I see no indication that this set was designed to be mounted upside down, or right side up for that matter, it just sits on a table.

It's great for DX'ing, as you can see it's pulling in Cleveland from a couple thousand miles, and more than half a century away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panapop2.jpg (36.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg blade.jpg (9.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-12-2016, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Classic set Eric.I have one here too.The writers probably had the idea while looking at their GE kitchen under the counter TV/radio as they were writing the script.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The one of thease that I'd love to have is the Uber-Rare 3" version...` I have the 3" version that kinda, sorta, y'know, almost looks like a Video camera. It has an AM/FM radio, & honestly, it has about the bestest AM section I ever saw on one of these Bad Boiz..TeeVee wasn't all that great shakes, but I never took it up on top of the city dump- THAT was a place on a tall bluff overlooking the Holston river, & you could TV DX til yr little heart's delight. On a GOOD night, I could pickup the major network feeds on my choice of several different stations. PBS, all manner of weird local UHF stuff, you name it. Kinda miss those happy days of TV DX...
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 PM
Administrator

I have two other versions of these sets, both are 5" though. One's a TR-5050P, I don't know the other offhand but it's an older one.

The TR-535 is anything but rare, there's at least ten of them on eBay right now ranging from $10 up to (wishful thinking) $150, plus several other models, all 5".