Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Well my wife helped me unload it into the garage last night. I've been out cleaning it up. Low and behold I found a Tele-Zoom tucked back in behind the Garrard turntable . Funny I've been watching E-bay for one to make my stand-alone tv complete. My luck usually runs in the "Bad to Worse" zone. I'm now a happy camper.
Tony
That is awesome finding that remote control. A really unique vintage TV. I'm looking forward to seeing it back to it's former glory!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 PM
<----Zenith C845

Your Garod console looks great, even if part of the cabinet needs work yet. I'm sure once you restore it it will work just as well, although it won't work on today's ATSC TV standards without cable or a converter box and an antenna.

BTW, was Garod affiliated in any way with a US TV manufacturer known as Majestic? For several years, I had the chassis from a 1951 Majestic 16" round-tube TV, with a 16GP4 CRT; the set had belonged to my aunt who lived across town from us (she was moving and couldn't take it with her), so I couldn't get the cabinet. (I wish I could have, though, as the cabinet for this chassis was solid wood, mahogany, I believe, and very nice looking, with six brass door pulls on the doors in front of the CRT--oh, well.) The chassis, with an old car radio speaker for audio (I had it sitting on top of a Crosley Super V set in the basement), worked very well on the attic antenna in our house. I had to give it up when I moved in 1972. I hated to do it, since the set was working so well, but where I was moving (long story) I wouldn't have had room for it anyway.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-13-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Your Garod console looks great, even if part of the cabinet needs work yet. I'm sure once you restore it it will work just as well, although it won't work on today's ATSC TV standards without cable or a converter box and an antenna.

BTW, was Garod affiliated in any way with a US TV manufacturer known as Majestic? For several years, I had the chassis from a 1951 Majestic 16" round-tube TV, with a 16GP4 CRT; the set had belonged to my aunt who lived across town from us (she was moving and couldn't take it with her), so I couldn't get the cabinet. (I wish I could have, though, as the cabinet for this chassis was solid wood, mahogany, I believe, and very nice looking, with six brass door pulls on the doors in front of the CRT--oh, well.) The chassis, with an old car radio speaker for audio (I had it sitting on top of a Crosley Super V set in the basement), worked very well on the attic antenna in our house. I had to give it up when I moved in 1972. I hated to do it, since the set was working so well, but where I was moving (long story) I wouldn't have had room for it anyway.
I think, there was some kind of connection with Garod and Majestic and with Wilcox-Gay the recorder manufacturer.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I think, there was some kind of connection with Garod and Majestic and with Wilcox-Gay the recorder manufacturer.
Yep...Some detail here:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hers...ompany_id=3789

jr
Old 06-17-2018, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

That TV is a great find. The "new" Garod Tele-Zoom feature is mentioned here about 1/4 of the way down the page. http://antiqueradios.com/features/1949tv.html

I found it interesting that Garod, and others, manufactured some models for RCA. When going through the RCA archives at the Hagley Museum I saw this in an RCA internal document, dated 6/21/45, specifying the serial number format and labeling to be used on RCA products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170905_131442.jpg (53.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thought I'd post a few more pix of the terminal strip setup. Although the schematic shows a Aux audio power output chassis for the deluxe version, complete with dual 6V6GT output tubes, 6AT6 phase inverter and a separate 5Y3GT rectifier tube. This setup does not seem to be listed in the Garod Sams PhotoFact Manual. It is just the 25 cycle Power Transformer, and 2 more transformers labeled 10707 (920)and 10706 (912). The part numbers don't seem to show up on the schematics either. Is it safe to assume they did this to free up room under the crowded chassis ? The set also has a 5AW4 tube installed in-place of the 5U4G tube. Did any other tv's of the time use this kind of setup ?
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GarodStrip1.JPG (51.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg GarodStrip2.JPG (49.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PowerSupplyStrip.JPG (49.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg GarodPowerBottom.JPG (47.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg GarodAuxPower1.JPG (49.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Tony F; 06-23-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Several makes used a separate power supply, Zenith & Admiral to name two, neither used that bizarre connector setup however.