Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

New member from Australia

Greetings to all. Let me introduce myself. I found this website just recently and decided to join. I have had an interest/fascination in electronics for as long as I can remember, and after leaving Secondary School became apprenticed as a "Radio Mechanic" as it was called way back then. I worked in Consumer Electronic repairs for a period of 33 years until my back forced me to give-up television repairs.

I mainly intend to post items on the type of sets not commonly seen here, but will not limit myself to just that topic.

I look forward joining the dissucions.

Wayne (Labrat)
Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Welcome ! Nice t'have ya !
Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome mate, glad to see another Aussie join these forums! I'm an Aussie myself and have been posting here since 2004 and I have a big collection of old electronic gear, mostly vintage TV cameras as it's my specialty but I also have some old TVs as well including a rare US imported 1947 Andrea VJ12 TV chassis with a radar tube for a screen, my collection can be seen on my site http://www.troysvintagevideo.741.com/ . Also I have a mate in the Blue Mountains who has probably the largest collection of vintage TVs in Australia his website can be viewed here http://cool386.tripod.com/ . I am curious to know what sort of vintage TVs and video related gear you have in your collection and look forward to seeing them in the posts. Anyways welcome aboard and look forward to your posts.

Cheers
Troy
Old 01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Wayne, Welcome to the forums.
I mainly lurk on these forums but do pop in now and again to post something.

Andrew

Last edited by AndrewM; 01-02-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: fix spelling mistake
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I really enjoy seeing and reading about the Australian/New Zealand sets; to someone in the states they really seem to have come from a parallel universe. Glad to have you here!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Motorola Minion

Good to have a PAL perspective. The sets I have seen posted from European manufacturers look very intriguing beginning with the delay line.

I repaired a Hitachi with selectable PAL-NTSC that a Veteran tech had in the service.
The color would drop out, so I nailed a 1mf-50v electrolytic with freeze spray - easy.

I think it helps us all to better understand circuit operation. If only somebody would post a spreadsheet with the PAL-NTSC differences and waveshapes...
Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hidey, Mate, good to have you here!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

"Parallel Universe"-Yeah, that's about it...I heard Oz described once as a cross between England & Texas...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

PAL sets should not be any more difficult to repair. All schematics show on them waveforms of the standard colour bars. At the input to the PAL delay line (64 micro seconds), there is the composite chroma waveform, at the outputs there are the U signal, and the V signal. They go into balanced demodulators. The 4.443619 Mhz reference carrier to the U (B) demodulator is phase shifted by 90 degrees. The reference to the V (R) demodulator is switched by 180 degrees every second line. The outputs of the demodulators are matrixed together to recover the G signal. The three signals are then either mixed with the minus luminance signal to produce RGB signals at the picture tube cathodes, or the minus luminance signal is sent to the tubes three cathodes and the R,G and B signals are matrixed inside the picture tube (colour difference drive).
I hope my memory is not too far off. It has been many years since I learnt the theory.

As for the "parallel universe" I would say that Australia looks identical to the USA. but has a fondness for Britain.

Wayne
Old 01-15-2012, 05:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

g'day from melb mate...

always good to see another Aussie here...

I remember 1975 so well..that first morning of full colour bradcasting ... in glorious PAL!!! My Philips K9 set looked so good that day!
Audiokarma
Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm the 4th Australian on this site.