Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Being a Toronto receiver, the power grid was 25Hz when the set was delivered. This reflected on US 60Hz sets modified for 25Hz: large iron transformers. Hence the augmented iron was often located on sub-chassis' located elsewhere in the cabinet. (Toronto only switched to 60Hz I believe in 1958).

TV became available over the air from Buffalo in 1948 when WBEN (now WIVB) channel 4 signed on. Canada's first TV broadcasts from the CBLT Toronto and CBMT Montreal began September 1952. Many Torontonian's were ensconced with Buffalo television for four years before the CBC.

This set was for one of the earliest pre-CBC viewers in Toronto.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank-You for the wealth of information. It is always nice to have a little history lesson that I had no idea about. I was out cleaning the bottom of the console while it was laying down in the truck. I managed to squeeze past it and got up to the chassis with the picture tube in it. It is a 12LP4. I didn't really feel like dragging my tester in behind me. That will have to wait for another day. I really hope it tests ok.
Tony
Old 06-12-2018, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I went back out with my B&K 466 tester and . The tube went into the Green right away (about 56 on the "5" scale) just above the Red+Green scale. After about 10 minutes, it came up to the start of the "G" (about 60 on the "5" scale). I will let it run a little longer when i get a chance. I just had to know that the tube was ok. Also, it is actually a 12LP4A, not just a 12LP4, FWIW. The tube is also a Marconi (painted on the underneath of the Bakelite). I hadn't seen that before.
Tony
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Well, I went back out with my B&K 466 tester and . The tube went into the Green right away (about 56 on the "5" scale) just above the Red+Green scale. After about 10 minutes, it came up to the start of the "G" (about 60 on the "5" scale). I will let it run a little longer when i get a chance. I just had to know that the tube was ok. Also, it is actually a 12LP4A, not just a 12LP4, FWIW. The tube is also a Marconi (painted on the underneath of the Bakelite). I hadn't seen that before.
Tony
I'd be curious to know who actually built the 12LP4A in your set. My guess is RCA. I have a fair number of Marconi recieving tubes that are clearly just rebranded RCAs.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

RCA in Montreal manufactured receiving tubes. I suspect it is a Canadian manufactured tube for Marconi Canada.
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2018, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well my wife helped me unload it into the garage last night. I've been out cleaning it up. Low and behold I found a Tele-Zoom tucked back in behind the Garrard turntable . Funny I've been watching E-bay for one to make my stand-alone tv complete. My luck usually runs in the "Bad to Worse" zone. I'm now a happy camper.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tele-Zoom.JPG (52.5 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Well my wife helped me unload it into the garage last night. I've been out cleaning it up. Low and behold I found a Tele-Zoom tucked back in behind the Garrard turntable . Funny I've been watching E-bay for one to make my stand-alone tv complete. My luck usually runs in the "Bad to Worse" zone. I'm now a happy camper.
Tony
That is awesome finding that remote control. A really unique vintage TV. I'm looking forward to seeing it back to it's former glory!