Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vinyldavid, the Zenith focus adjustment, the g1, is typically a very easy adjustment, and can breathe new life into many a monitor.

I use all CRT too. I won't watch lcd's or plasma, since they are often misadjusted and look bad, on top of being a slower-responding device.

My CRTs include RCAs, Zeniths, Motorolas, a Quasar, an old Sony trinitron, and amodern trinitron.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

100% CRT usage over here. A 19" CTC97 RCA XL100 in the living room, a mid '80's 19" Sony Trinitron in the computer room, a '69 Zenith B&W console in the shop, a 13" KTV from '86 in my bedroom, a mid '90's Sharp 19" in my Mother's bedroom, a 13" Sharp in the kitchen, and a '76 Zenith Chromacolor II in the basement. I've also got a few '60's and '70's sets that are on my "to fix" list. I like these older TV's and I'm trying to build my stash of them so I won't have to buy a new TV.

Unlike most people my age, I'm not interested in LCD, Plasma, DLP, or whatever the "new must have" technology is. Most of my "friends" that are buying this new crap are just trying to keep up with their buddy down the road. Some of these sets look pretty good and some don't. None look good enough for me to pay what they cost. I know someone who dumped $3K on an LCD set 2 or 3 years ago and the picture is not as good as any of my CRT sets. The only LCD set here is a broken 20" Emerson that was free from the TV shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyldavid View Post
Someday I'll have enough technical expertise to work on an old color Zenith (seventies model, weighs a TON), and get that back up and running....IIRC the focus is bad....that would be COOL to have.
Most of us on here love Zenith's of that era and we would be more than happy to help you with it.

Is yours solid state or tube? Floor model or a table model in a steel cabinet?

I used to get a lot of those monster Zenith's from the '60's and '70's and they were good sets. I'm still trying to find an all tube or mostly tube Zenith color TV in either a steel cabinet or a console.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:12 PM
boatanchors rule!

100% CRT here, too. First, I find the prices of the - as radiotvnut put it so well - "new, must-have" stuff way way too high. Second, I'll wait a few years until I'm sure the technology is as robust and dependable as the proven oldschool CRT stuff. Frankly, I still don't trust it.

Both the kids have a smaller CRT unit in their room with a cheapo DVD and we have a 29" mid 90's Sony in the LR for the main unit with DVD, VHS and satellite and they all serve us just fine.

One thing I didn't like about the new plasma units: the front surface of the screen gets quite warm. I was looking at them in walmart a few months ago and was actually shocked at just how hot the screen was. I could feel the heat radiating off the screen from 3 or 4 feet away and touching it was akin to touching a warm stove.

EDIT: Our computer monitors are LCD, but all our TVs are CRT.

Last edited by ablethevoice; 06-08-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 06-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Peanut Head

Two CRT's here. A 27" JVC in the den that I use with a Pioneer DVD player and a small set of horn loaded loudspeakers and a 13" Emerson in the bedroom that gets played when I get up in the morning (Weather Channel), when folding laundry and just before retiring to bed. Picture quality is excellent on both sets and both are several years old with nary a problem. Used to have a cute little 9" GE in the kitchen, but it had a very short life.

Last edited by Celt; 05-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Vintage rules!

I have a 36" Sony that I got in 1999. It still works well. As long as it works, I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. My brother has a 27" Magnavox from 1997 that works well. In my bedroom I have a 14" Sears color TV from 1986. It is not hooked up since I don't watch TV that much. I like listening to music.

We don't have cable. My friends have satellite and cable, and what I seen on there I don't care for the programming. I like the programs that are available over the air in Chicago or we rent movies or go to the local library to rent them for free. I plan to add a converter box and I will upgrade my outdoor antenna.
Main system: Pioneer SX 950 & Realistic STA 2100 Aiwa AD F770 and AD F660, Sony PS-T25 turntable, Pioneer CLD-5201 Laserdisk as a CD player, Denon DCM 360, Realistic 10- band EQ, Akai GX 4000D, Velodyne SA-101, Minimus 7, Baby Advents, Pioneer CS-88A speakers.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2008, 01:47 PM
EFSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Most of us on here love Zenith's of that era and we would be more than happy to help you with it.

Is yours solid state or tube? Floor model or a table model in a steel cabinet?

I used to get a lot of those monster Zenith's from the '60's and '70's and they were good sets. I'm still trying to find an all tube or mostly tube Zenith color TV in either a steel cabinet or a console.
Table top, plastic cab. No idea as to whether it is SS or tube...it has an ultra-sonic remote that works.

I'll try to find the thread that I did on it a while back, as I might have a place for it in a couple of months.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
"Too Much Stuff"

I plan to stick with a CRT as long as I can. I don't like the coloration in the LCD/Plasmas, it looks too cartoony for me.
Onkyo TX8500II
Pioneer CTF950,Akai GX-S80
DCM TF-600,TF-400 CX-17+ KL Quartets
Old 06-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Sony afficionado

Still using my beloved WEGA every day. Hope it will last me another 10 years...

Old 06-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Shepherd

I own a Toshiba 36'' CRT HD television. I love the picture!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 PM
a- v- karma member

We have in daily use (by decreasing order of actual operating time) :

Mid nineties Hitachi;

1977 portable Toshiba 15-inch;

Sony Trinitron KV-20TS30 (circa 1989);

1984 Toshiba 12-inch.

Even one of my two computers has a CRT monitor, the other
one has a LCD screen (but loaned from my boss, so this may
still be a 100% CRT household).
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
AK Member

I'm still running two 27" Sony Trinitrons. One from 1988, the other from 1998.
The older one has recently developed an area at the top that's faded. I presume from the satellite upper display. I'll probably eventually replace it with a Sharp Aquos set. But I'm not in any big hurry, partly because video is far less important to me than audio. If I want to see a really big screen, I can always stop at the local movie theatre.

I recently got a PC widescreen LCD monitor to toy around with for the HD videos.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'll keep using my CRT 36" Sony til it gives up the ghost. I HOPE that's not for a LOOOONG time as I detest those gawdam fancy Etch-A-Sketch doohickeys..They ain't REAL TVs, if you ask me...Hmmmmpf !
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Sylvania Nut

Still use CRT monitors and televisions here and no plans to change over to new tech any time in the foreseeable future! Of course there's the semi working LCD I got for free and my laptops, but beyond those it's all tubes!

My current primary set is a 29" 1991 Zenith. I also have a 27" 1993 Sharp, ~17" 1981 Teknika, and a 20" 1989 Zenith. Don't know any of the model numbers offhand, I keep meaning to make a note of them.

Here's a picture of my main setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Room_Speakers_800.jpg (128.2 KB, 98 views)

View My AK Gallery
Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a spare lcd computer monitor, that one day i would like to find a tuner so i could watch tv on it. Logan
Old 06-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Damn does run fast…

Parents still have their 27" Sony WEGA. No plans to replace it.

"It works"

Yeah, that's one way of saying it. Still a beautiful TV after 8 or so years of use.
Audiokarma