Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

repair vintage Editor?

I bought a really old school video switcher/ SEG. A Showtime Video Ventures model ..probably back from the 80s or early 90s. All buttons light up but darn if I can get a video signal to pass through the Coax inputs and outputs. Are there any places around that repair these old time switchers? Might just be something loose inside but if I open it up, i know all hell will break loose.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Generally, pro switchers are "simple" and repetitive. Not simple enough for me to fix of course, but reasonable if you can find a manual. And pro manuals are often service manuals, too. Can you post a pic?

Eehh, if it's this thing: https://books.google.com/books?id=XA...ntures&f=false
I take back what I said about 'pro' stuff, unfortunately.

Does 'coax' mean F-type connectors, or RCA, or BNC?

Last edited by Chip Chester; 03-17-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

If its like the Ampex ACE editor, all your source signals will have to be synchronous with your reference.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes F type connector. Older consumer switcher from the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Generally, pro switchers are "simple" and repetitive. Not simple enough for me to fix of course, but reasonable if you can find a manual. And pro manuals are often service manuals, too. Can you post a pic?

Eehh, if it's this thing: https://books.google.com/books?id=XA...ntures&f=false
I take back what I said about 'pro' stuff, unfortunately.

Does 'coax' mean F-type connectors, or RCA, or BNC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg showmaster.jpg (57.2 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Celt; 03-19-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fairly simple to fix with a manual. Without a manual, virtually impossible. It's also possible that it needs external reference (genlock, sync, other) to work, and also possible as mentioned all inputs have to be synchronous. Hopefully there are no specailized or custom IC's in there, as they would be in the "unobtanium" class of components today.
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Post a pic of the back -- clear enough to read the labels, etc.
At that vintage, it's pretty unlikely that it has a frame sync on each input, which would mean that all sources would need to be synchronized before entering switcher.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not likely F connectors. That is RF and I never saw a device that would direct convert RF to baseband video in the day especially in the prosumer market. This is a 525 baseband unit as the V interval label and sync timing indicator lamp shows. It needs sync somewhere via a camera input or a sync input. Probably RCA connectors on the back. The sync timing adjustment is to get the cameras in phase (tint) sync during a dissolve which is mixing two sources at once. Gotta get them matching in phase. The switcher may generate its own sync to reference to.

Open it up and look for bad solder joints and buldging caps in the power supply. Not much else can happen.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:39 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Not likely F connectors. That is RF and I never saw a device that would direct convert RF to baseband video in the day especially in the prosumer market.
F connectors are usually RF but not always. The Blonder Tongue agile modulators most of us tube TV collectors use to feed our sets use F connectors for audio and baseband video input as well as RF output...Guess they were either too lazy to spec out normal BNC/RCA for the A/V inputs on those or the cable industry hates non-F connectors with a passion...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

In the 'believe it or not' category, back "in the day" there were manufacturers that actually used F connectors for baseband video. Consumer stuff, not broadcast or even pro. A few, not many, but enough to confuse the issue into the 2018's :-D