Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Just finished a Vizio 32 inch plasma. 277 watts draw on the watt meter. They have enough nerve to give it an energy star rating! I use a small dorm refrigerator in Mississippi that draws around 500 watts running. It runs on a 1200 watt generator if the power goes out. I defrost it once every two months.
And yes, I use a timer on a strip to turn off the electronics when I go to bed. Makes the capacitors in the power supplies last a lot longer!
I use a small incandescent for a downstairs light as I don't trust the CFL power supplies since one started flickering and when I broke it open the board was darkened from heat and the capacitors were bulged!
I have a 10 YO. ,1.2 cu ft Sanyo dorm refridgerator, that only takes 71 watts running. I plugged into my Watt-Watcher. It does a great job keeping the adult beverages cold. It also has the condensor coils on the back, which is more efficient.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Using any kind of explosive device if you don't know (or are not sure of) what you are doing can be lethal, as well as risky and/or downright dangerous.
Here is a "classic" example of the use of explosives by people that thought they knew what they were doing, back in 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tl2H3QzT0

jr
Old 08-23-2012, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ah yes...the PPL oldest fridge contest. They had an ad for this in the paper the other night, I think it was a half page. I just remember that it spelled energy as "enegry". The mistake wasn't buried in the ad copy, but rather boldly printed on one of the headlines in the ad.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Here is a "classic" example of the use of explosives by people that thought they knew what they were doing, back in 1970:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79tl2H3QzT0

jr

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Nipper Rules

fridge

no government program is going to come between me and my Crosley Shelvador
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5240251.jpg (51.5 KB, 58 views)
Audiokarma
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Motorola Minion

Nice Crosley! Every time I see an old refrigerator on ebay, asking at least $500
Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Nipper Rules

fridge

Thanks Dave, got it last year off craigslist for $50 bucks. it was in the basement of Japanese immigrants who couldnt lift it so it stayed down there for the 38 years that they owned the house, got it home ,put a new cord on it, and, ice cold. Amazing whats still out there...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

I have a freind who has had one for ages. You need to get a matching Crosley white-pained radio to go on top like he has!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Crosley-...item3a79200268

As a former owner of a side-by-side, I can personally attest to the energy-sucking habits of those Mullion heaters. How do we know when a Mullion gets too cold, anyway? Do they complain or something?

Last edited by Einar72; 08-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Administrator

My '53 Norge is still keeping the milk cold . I rescued it through a metal scrapper friend of mine. I used to give him all my worn out snowblower carcasses, and he asked me if there's anything I'd like. I said, as a matter of fact, if you ever come across and old fridge.....and 3 days later he called me about this one. It's in perfect shape, and hadn't been in use since the early 1960s. The old couple had passed, and the kids just wanted it gone as they were preparing their house for sale....

Pictures after a very good cleanup, and having it plugged in in the garage to make sure everything was up to snuff. Had it running for 2 weeks, then sold my 6 year old Kenmore fridge and moved it in the house....

Here she is, two years later, still working flawlessly in my kitchen

Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Nipper Rules

kitchens

i am seriously amused at whatever it is we do here, your kitchen shots are great, and im laughing because it is so similiar to mine and,i bet, alot of other peoples, that are here. Got to love the old Norge...
Audiokarma
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
<----Zenith C845

When I was growing up, we had a Gibson freezer in the basement. That thing lasted, IIRC, some 40-50 years, then finally quit some time in the early 1990s. As far as refrigerators go, we had several that I can remember -- my earliest memories of fridges in our house are of a small one in our kitchen, made by a company called "Leonard". I don't know a thing about that company, whether it was a house brand of a department store chain in the '50s or what, but that refrigerator lasted for us through the '50s into the '60s, IIRC. That refrigerator was replaced by a Sears Coldspot that lasted until 1972, then replaced by yet another Sears CS. The latter kept going for many years, but was removed (I'm not sure if it was trashed) when the house was sold (long story/OT) in the late 1990s.

If it was trashed, I would have been surprised (I don't know if it was or not, since I wasn't there when the house was being readied for sale -- I was temporarily "living" in a motel in the next town at the time, then moved to my apartment 2 weeks later), as that fridge was like the old Eveready Energizer batteries -- it kept going and going and going . . .

Just goes to show how much better everything was built decades ago. The fridge currently in my apartment is a Frigidaire, which replaced an old beat-up one that was in the apartment when I moved in. The old one quit within a couple of years, so the landlord replaced it with the current Frigidaire -- but who knows how long the latter will last? It's been here some time, probably at least eight or nine years, and still runs, but for how long is anyone's guess.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Motorola Minion

Great Kitchen stove also! That sunbeam mixer is another survivor I see.

Mine is from 1959 and needed a GROUNDED cord, switch cleaned and works great. I got it from my mom, who then got my grandmothers 1956 Hobart that was in a kitchen cabinet on a built-in swing out table, I converted it to counter top.

I also have a silver one with a bad switch for parts.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is an International Harvester refrigerator that the local appliance store keeps on display in its window:

The guys over on the IH truck forums (binderplanet) like to collect these but this guy won't sell.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
... my earliest memories of fridges in our house are of a small one in our kitchen, made by a company called "Leonard". I don't know a thing about that company, whether it was a house brand of a department store chain in the '50s or what, but that refrigerator lasted for us through the '50s into the '60s...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_%28appliances%29

http://southernclassic.tripod.com/id2.html

Last edited by AUdubon5425; 08-31-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 PM
M is for Memory

Someone who had an estate sale near me had an international Harvester floor chest style freezer or fridge from the 50's that was the size of a large upright model. It was so weird that if I had money, room, and knowledge enough to fix it I might have bought it just to have the oddest old chest I've seen. I hope it was not trashed.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma