Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

In 1955 my dad brought home our first window air conditioner, an International Harvester! It protruded into the house as much as it did outside the window, big ol' thing, but it cooled down the whole house. Think I still have the owners manual for it somewhere.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool that you guys are keeping these old beasts going, and I'm pleasantly shocked at the energy consumption test.

What I wanna know is where you get R12 when the beast springs a leak.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxcrusadr View Post
Cool that you guys are keeping these old beasts going, and I'm pleasantly shocked at the energy consumption test.

What I wanna know is where you get R12 when the beast springs a leak.
Well, if that happens, you ARE screwed. I never have seen one that happened to when I delivered new fridges. The oldies worked but were no longer big enough or pretty enough. The newer ones we picked up always had a leak or bad compressor.

I have two for that reason and would keep more around.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

A few weeks ago I had to get a new house AC condenser-compressor unit. Fortunately for me I had about half of a 30 lb cylinder of R22 I bought in '92-93, so using my own freon saved me a couple hundred $ at today's price. I mentioned to the AC guy that I had some R12 stashed away too. He said so did he. Stuff's so seldom used any more R12 is not worth much and there's very little demand. He said R134A works good enough in older R12 equipment there's just no demand for R12.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

We can still get R12 - I think store cost is $40 a can from the wholesaler.
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can relate to this post. I got rid of all my "modern" appliances and have a 1956 Frigidaire, and I get sick of those NOT in the know giving me crap or making comments on how much "juice" it must use. I inform them not as much as the POS GE Profile it replaced. As for washers.. I'm getting ready to switch back to an OLD top-loader. I have a 6 year old front-loader that is now throwing out an error code and makes ping-pong bing-bong noises (from the chimes)... Also I never thought it truly got stuff clean as I think it's supposed to use like 2 teaspoons of water... lol! Also got foul when I had to go to Ace last night to get replacement floodlights for my garage. THAT was an ordeal.... (and 26.00 later, for 2) for a product that will probably burn out in 2 seconds. I also remember when my parents got a stupid low-flow toilet that you had to flush about 200 times. They said EFF IT and found a "normal" one. I did hear the new generation ones are better tho. Back to this topic.. I see our power company is offering 35.00 to pick up your old fridge. What a joke......
Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 AM
"Book em Dano!"

I just fixed up an old late 1950's or early 1960's Imperial(Western Auto) Freezer for a friend. It was at another friends appliance repair shop waiting to go to scrap. I wanted to see if i could fix it. It is in really good shape and super clean inside. All that was wrong with it is some of the wiring to the relays went bad. All replaced and it works great. It pulls less than 4 amps. The newer freezers pull around 4 amps so why would I want that newer stuff that fails at an early age when I can have something still working 50 years later(and looks cool)?
As for front load washers, I work on those all the time, bad pumps, bad bearings, torn boots, burnt computers. gets expensive to have to replace those parts when it is 5 years old(some are overloaded and abused). A lot of customers go back to top load Whirlpool made bullet proof easy to repair washers. Parts are cheap and plentiful. DON'T EVER buy a GE front load washer!! They are Chinese junk!!!! Those GE fridges have those computer boards go bad all the time. Keeps the repair guys in business.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey mstaton, It's funny you mention that as I AM planning to go to a Whirlpool top loader, but... before I do, the washer I have now is an LG. ( and no.. I didn't buy it new) it's giving an LE code which is for "overload motor" I "googled" the problem and it seems that's a common one for my model. It's some sensor, but supposedly it's part of the motor, and you have to replace the entire motor. In your opinion.... fix it, or send it to the curb?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 AM
"Book em Dano!"

On some you can just replace the sensor. They want you to buy the whole motor. Is it a standard belt drive or stator?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's Model Number WM0532HW

Not sure, but when I googled it, they were talking about "stator" and giving links to buy the whole motor.
Audiokarma
Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey I use to have a 1950s philco shelvadoor refridge but I donated it to a needy family I knew 15 years ago I wish I would have gave them my newer refridge rather than that one oh well my loss I am looking for another one hopefully I will find one wish me luck.. Timothy
Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM
johnny the raster master!

[QUOTE=DavGoodlin;3036241]Those units made in the 60s-early70s were the biggest energy hogs and, just like the cars, got WORSE in the later 70s.

My parents had a side by side 24 cu ft GE that was "Harvest Gold" when they built the house in '69 it lasted until 1995 with NO maintenance. It pulled 7 amps IIRC I hate to think how much energy that beast consumed during its existence:

I strongly object to the notion that the oldest stuff is the most inefficient.[/QUOTE

SORRY thought you said you were agreing to it
you said i OBJECT
p.s. DONT MAKE IT MAD!

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!

Last edited by radiotron; 10-17-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Johnny you are still wet behind the ears you are just learnning about this old stuff you will catch up soon you are only 12 years old so do not rush your life you are a good kid keep on learnning.. Timothy
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 PM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
Hey Johnny you are still wet behind the ears you are just learnning about this old stuff you will catch up soon you are only 12 years old so do not rush your life you are a good kid keep on learnning.. Timothy
Tim I may not know the most in the world, but I know enough not to have chinese junk!

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
It's Model Number WM0532HW

Not sure, but when I googled it, they were talking about "stator" and giving links to buy the whole motor.
On some you can replace just the sensor. Usually white or black and not interchangeable. You will need to pull the magnet assy from the tub shaft to see it. There is a part number on it. Google it and you may come up with something. I may be able to get you one. There will more than likely be wear marks on it. Maybe get a pic of it and post it.
Audiokarma