Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Question Issue with GE "Portacolor III"

This set's been a real thorn in my side, so I posted to the classifieds looking for a set to swap parts with, and it turns out there were actually a lot of sets that used the same chassis, only problem is they are apparently unobtanium. Anyways, my scope is saying I'm not getting any video out of the IF amp ic, (nte1545) but I've replaced it twice, and still no signal. It's got the classic "clean" raster (no snow) symptom of a bad detector, and when I inject composite video into the first video amp, there's no black and white video, just color. I suspect this is because composite is 1v peak to peak and the amp expects 2v. I've ordered another replacement IF amp chip, as the other two were old stock. I'm a little perplexed at this point, as I don't see how two IF amp chips were bad, although they were from the same seller.

Attached is a pic of this section of the schematic. The little numbers scribbled on the chip are voltage readings I took, and you probably can't read them as the file size was reduced, but the only thing of note was that pin 3 was supposed to be .7v, but is 4.5v, and I can't figure out why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circuitdiagram.jpg (112.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pin3 would vary with R150 setting AGC. Try cranking on R150.
But I'd re-solder the entire area first.

Last edited by kf4rca; 01-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Resolder all of the griplets first from the top of the PCB. Usually if
griplets are the problem you can rap the chassis and make it come & go.
Beyond that measure voltages & waveforms again. Since you have color & sync you know there is composite inside the IC.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-08-2019, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have actually run a wire through all of the 50 odd griplets that act as vias... I re-soldered every joint in the IF amp area, and there is still basically no signal coming out of pin 5, (if there is, than it's like .005v pp) If I bang and bop the set, or rap on the board, it seems pretty consistent in it's current state. When I turn the agc control (r150) pin 3 actually goes from 5.27v to 5.44v and seems very consistent, just 5 volts high...
Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Do you know for sure that the tuner is working?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Do you know for sure that the tuner is working?
Actually, no. I don't really know how to "test" the output of a tuner, I know it takes RF and turns it into IF, but I don't know how "check" for IF, (I don't have a sweep generator, or a "tuner subber") But I guess that's what "snow" actually is, the output of a tuner without a signal. Maybe the tuner isn't putting out the IF it should be, and so the IF amp chip has nothing to modulate? That being said, I took the IF output from the tuner of a working set that I have and jumpered it to the tuner input of this set, and there's still no video signal. Although, I'm not sure if you can just use another tv as a "tuner subber", as I just used the output and ground of the other tv's tuner.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Having thought about it, I took the output of the broken set's tuner (hooked up to dvd player) and jumpered it to the working set's tuner input, and the signal doesn't look half bad, a little lossy, but alligator clip leads across the bench don't help, so.... I think the tuner works.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Having thought about it, I took the output of the broken set's tuner (hooked up to dvd player) and jumpered it to the working set's tuner input, and the signal doesn't look half bad, a little lossy, but alligator clip leads across the bench don't help, so.... I think the tuner works.
I'm almost positive I have one of those sets in my cluttered warehouse.
If it's easy to get to without help, I'll check it out and PM you in a few days.
I'm glad I quit the repair business 30 or so years ago. I don't miss those headaches.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I'm almost positive I have one of those sets in my cluttered warehouse.
If it's easy to get to without help, I'll check it out and PM you in a few days.
I'm glad I quit the repair business 30 or so years ago. I don't miss those headaches.
Thanks! Whether you find it or not I appreciate the gesture
Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK first give a detailed description of the symptoms, I think I am
missing something here. Do you have a color picture that goes away to blank white when the color control is turned all the way down ?

AGC When there is no signal or very weak signal both the RF & IF are turned on to full gain. With strong signals gain gets turned down. SO AGC voltages
can vary a lot. Most SS sets the AGC control will go from snow to normal
to a jittery pix as you turn it. Set it to where the snow just goes away..

TUNER Most tuner fails are snowy pix or whited out & wormy. Crude test
is turn the channel. You should see "noise" in the pix & crashing in the
sound. If you do the problem is tuner related. If not its IF related.
Keep in mind sometimes tuners get so dirty they stop working unless you violently shake the knob !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 01-10-2019, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Thanks! Whether you find it or not I appreciate the gesture
I located it today. I ran it for a few hours. I probably haven't turned it on in several years. When I first tried it back then, I remembered the CRT was a bit tired on the red and blue gun, but after a minute or so, the grey scale doesn't look too bad.
It's a model # 10AB3046W in decent cosmetic shape.
PM me with your phone number, as I'm not that fast on a keyboarder. Phoning is easier. Dave.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Do you have a color picture that goes away to blank white when the color control is turned all the way down ?
Yes, actually. Only colors, no black and white information at all. If I put on a b/w show, nothing shows up. If I put on something with colors and b/w video, only the colors appear, and only when I crank the color control all the way up. So basically, all I see are highly saturated colors, and everything that should be b/w on the screen isn't even lit. I'm thinking it's because it's not getting the 2v peak to peak video signal it needs at test point 3, as of now it's only getting a 200mv peak to peak signal. Test point 3 comes after the first video amp, but I'm assuming the first video amp (Q200) should already be getting a 2v pp video signal out of pin 12 (I said pin 5 last time by accident) of the IF amp IC.(IC120) Also, contrast control does nothing, which makes sense because it is right on Q215, the fourth video amp.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 AM
jbattles

check your delay line
Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

You may try lifting pin 12 & see if you get 1-2V P-P of video on the
pin. You could also try hooking in composite video at TP 6 from a DVD. Just
be sure to use isolation !
I just dont see having a run of bad ICs but its not impossible.
If it were an expensive power pack then I would suspect bootleg
Chi-Comm crap.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbattles View Post
check your delay line
It measures around 60~ ohms or so, with no shorts to the 22v rail.
Audiokarma