Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

zenith roundie in Ohio.....

Another roundie on ebay. This one's in cleveland. Its a '65 model. Looks like a 24MC32 in there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1960S-ZENIT...em130033764925
Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator

I'm heading there this weekend if'n it was anyone here and they need it picked up
Old 10-05-2006, 02:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

I snagged it. I had "My Ebay" set to email me on a match for it, so I found it right away, although no surprise it also has a thread here. It was an impulse buy, only moderate "buyer's remorse" now. It's 99% the same set that compucat bought from hposter last July for approximately the same money"

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76856

so I don't think the BIN price was outrageous (although nothing like drh4683's $5 find!). I didn't want to bid against an AKer then, knowing eventually another one would show up. Now another one has, and another AKer proudly owns it. A longish drive to Cleveland, maybe 4 hours. Thanks Kamakiri for the offer, but I'm sure I'm miles out of the way, other way from New York.

It's 99% the same set as my childhood set referenced here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75451

so I'm sure it'll be treasured, once I find a spot for it.

I'll make sure everybody here gets a look...

-kb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9a_1.jpg (21.9 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

That's a beautiful set and it works too. You can't beat that. It seem to be in a little better cosmetic condition than mine. I plan to have my set refinished eventually after I get the electronics sorted out. It is different chassis than mine. The high voltage cage and convergence panel are different. Also, mine has a sharpness control where the large hole is in the picture control area.

I'm glad it went to someone who will treasure it. Long live the roundies.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 PM
AK Member

I saw a similar set at a local goodwill store, but it has a rectangular picture tube. Very similar controls, cabinet, etc. Are the rectangular's like this worth fooling with? Didn't see a price, but it's likely cheap.
Audiokarma
Old 10-05-2006, 01:34 PM
wrongsideofthetracks

I thought you were coming to Ohio next week???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
I'm heading there this weekend if'n it was anyone here and they need it picked up
Let Pete or I know if you come early!!!

Ron
Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

ok, 4-1/2 hours away is too far to drive for a TV set. Throw in 1/2 hour for the occasional gassing up and getting food, and the time spent loading up the TV, and don't forget an hour prep (obtaining MapQuest driving directions, collecting blankets, tie-straps, doing oil check, tire-pressure check, etc) to start with. It ended up being a noon-to-1am adventure. Very tired, TV's spending the night on the truck bed.

Bright side, the Zenith set was in the front window of a still-operating old-time TV-repair shop in Cleveland. The guy had lots of other cool old sets, we spent an hour and a half taking the grand tour and exchanging stories and contact info. It was informative and entertaining and fun.

Unable to resist the impulse, I also bought a 1949-ish Admiral 12-inch roundie console he just got in, untested, for a really good price, that he doubled his money on and I got it for what shipping or gas to go get one would cost anyway, so both parties walked away happy.

So two sets on the truck bed.

Sleep now, unload TVs later...
Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM
<--1956 300B

I would imagine that this was John's TV shop?

polaraman
Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman57
Let Pete or I know if you come early!!!

Ron
Yeah, the problem is now that I have to do Pittsburgh AND Ohio in one day. Almost 700 miles on the old van. Bah.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

wcaroll: Yes, any '60s Zenith color console is probably worth rescuing from a Goodwill store. Rectangulars aren't as popular, perhaps, now, but later as they get rarer and/or the hobby grows, I'm sure they will be, and Zenith makes the best stuff. Gotta be a good "investment" at goodwill prices.

Polaraman: Yup, John's TV shop. Worth the price of admission to drop by, and John loves to talk TV.

compucat: Agree, roundies rock! I'm keeping an eye out for your VHF tuner knob, John at John's TV didn't have one. I hope we both end up with museum grade.

The other set I bought is a Philco, not an Admiral. It was 2am, forgive me. Photo shows it, still in truck, with the Zenith. I'll start a new thread for the Philco later.

I'm not in a rush to work on the Zenith -- saving it for when I'm a little more proficient. The picture tube checked out great in Cleveland, wasn't a bumpy ride home, so I'm sure it weathered the ride. Set has good color and clarity, but horizontal and vertical linearity are a little "off", there was a lot of heavy "crackle and buzz" turning it on, and there's moderate hum in the audio. Still needs some capacitors, I'm sure.

The Philco might be "next up". It looks fun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PhilcoZenith.JPG (104.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg ZenithColorOnTruck.JPG (90.4 KB, 67 views)
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2007, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I took the Zenith off the truck last October after driving to Cleveland for it. It's been on display in the living room, untouched since. I had some guests want to turn it on yesterday, so I said OK.

Proof Zenith made the best stuff. Still working, original, from 1965.

I ran it about 15 minutes and no smoke. Still saving a full electrical resto for a more experienced hand than me, or I'll do it myself years from now after more experience.

The eagle shot is PBS in letterbox. A little more black stripe above than below, so there's at least a centering issue. Otherwise it looked pretty great. UHF stations off the air, a cheap antenna on top of the set.

Love that intense red from the old days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZenithRoundieEagle.JPG (27.1 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg ZenithRoundieLetterman.JPG (31.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg ZenithRoundiePieGirl.JPG (27.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg ZenithRoundieRedStuff.JPG (29.5 KB, 219 views)
Old 07-16-2007, 08:32 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

That set looks almost like a post restoration picture. These sets when properly set up have great contrast. Most tube type color tv sets I remember as a kid had soft pictures with less than accurate color. Since restoring my roundie, I have a new appreciation of what early color could do. No wonder people were enamored with it. Every time I turn mine on it is like seeing color TV for the first time. It is my favorite set in the house, I even prefer it over our HDTV. Your set is worth a careful and loving restoration. Your already half way there. When I got my set is was completely dead and I ended up getting the picture tube rebuilt, expensive but well worth it. It looks like a new TV.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Where exactly is John's TV? I live near cleveland and have been looking for a shop like that for ages!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

John's TV, 4529 Pearl Road in Cleveland. I had a phone number, but can't find it now. He was at the ETF convention a month or two ago in Columbus, with lots of TVs to sell. He has an impressive collection at his shop.

He did say he tuned my set up a bit so maybe that's why it looks so good "as-is". He didn't replace anything though (at least he didn't say so) and I don't see anything unusual in/on/under the chassis.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
Where exactly is John's TV? I live near cleveland and have been looking for a shop like that for ages!
John's TV Sales & Service
(216) 351-9100 4529 Pearl Rd
Cleveland, OH
Audiokarma