Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

WBMA-LP is located in Red Mt Park, but is much lower power... worse yet they have a construction permit to move to VHF ch 11.

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/t...2=&EW=W&size=9

jr
Old 12-12-2017, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Examples of HDTV problems here. In Cleveland you only want to cover the city but not lake Erie ! So odds are most the power goes to the S & SW.

AM radio has great examples. WBZ Boston & IIRC WWL Nawlins were granted clear channels ( 50 Kw non directional) in the 30's but also were allowed to be directional so as not to waste power over oceans. Thats why WBZ could be heard in most the country winter nights.
Canada stations would build very highly directional systems south
of the cities & slam the city with power while protecting US stations.
Torontos CFTR 680 can not be heard in the Boston area. We get a local
plus Binghamton N.Y., Baltimore, Raleigh, N.C.
Only when the antenna has "problems" can we hear it & it crushes us
with a needle pinning signal.........

Your new Zenith dont look that bad. You should of see the junk people would watch in the olden days. Like I have said turn off the lights & turn everything down. That can make a HUGE difference !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-12-2017, 04:59 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I only have a string of Christmas lights hung from the ceiling, and two pretty dim LED's for additional background lighting. It's not very bright in here at all.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:37 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Most of the transmitters are on Red Mountain, which is about 10 miles away. The only channel I have issues picking up sometimes is WABM 58. On stormy days, it's hit or miss. I don't know where the tranmitter is for that station. I can pick up WBRC, WVTM, WTTW, WUOA, and WIAT without issues.
Dave,
You listed WTTW as one of the stations you can pickup. WTTW is the local PBS station in Chicago. Do they rebroadcast it down there ?
Ed
Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Dave,
You listed WTTW as one of the stations you can pickup. WTTW is the local PBS station in Chicago. Do they rebroadcast it down there ?
Ed
I'm not good with these call letters. Meant to say WTTO. Don't know why I said WTTW.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
It's been a while (45 years, to be exact) since the last time I had a TV with a round color tube, but I do recall that it isn't easy to converge them, especially in the corners of the screen.
Huh? A roundie does not have "corners of the screen"...

Old 12-12-2017, 10:47 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post

Those durned manufacturers. Always cutting corners...
Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

LOL
No we know why they made roundies !
Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post

That is what makes the corners hard to adjust! You can't see them so your converging blind.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-13-2017, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a mathematician friend that once claimed that a circle could be thought of as a polygon with an infinite number of sides and therefore an infinite number of corners... but I thought that definition of a circle was pure BS.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 12-13-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2017, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interior to this thread, I can speak to one point:

Christmas lights will interfere with ATSC television reception.

Whether incandescent or LED is irrelevant. Stringing up any type of lamp containing 60 cycles AC, will thwart reception of digital TV to some degree.

FM Stereo will get noiser, and lose multiplex on a lesser tuner.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:13 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I've really screwed up now. I tried swapping the working chassis from the metal cabinet set into my remote set that I got a few months ago, and something happened, and now the thing looks like it's on a drug trip. Rolls horizontally, very unstable, no RF, no audio, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2589.jpg (45.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2590.jpg (62.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 04:58 PM
M is for Memory

I'd look at the synch separator/AGC stage (usually one tube sharing a cathode and a grid or two in Zeniths). No RF/sound and sync issues (presumably found by video injection, right?) sounds like a problem associated with that stage.

This is a really wild guess, but if you connected the tuner wires wrong perhaps you shorted the tuner AGC line and the issue fed back to something affecting both functions of the tube.

Horizontal roll (I assume you can get a slow roll in either direction, but it does not hold lock) could also be a bad H AFC diode package.

Did you try to connect the remote hardware when you did the chassis swap? Most non-remote sets lacked important aspects of the remote wiring and trying to adapt them to support that requires care and double checking of connections.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I set my Sencore VG91 to 45.75 MHz and injected it straight into the chassis, as I sometimes do for TV's that have lackluster tuners.

At first, I thought that I could have gotten the tuner wires mixed up, but I swapped them around and it made no difference.

I had to swap the volume and power controls by de and resoldering them onto the appropriate chassis. It "works", but I think there is a problem within the remote chassis, because it exhibited this same behavior before I swapped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2595.JPG (134.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:28 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Examples of HDTV problems here. In Cleveland you only want to cover the city but not lake Erie ! So odds are most the power goes to the S & SW.

Zeno, I live very close to the south shore of Lake Erie (within a mile) and can hear most Cleveland AM and FM radio stations very well. However, I have problems receiving two DTV stations from Cleveland, both on VHF DTV channels. One of those is the CBS affiliate on RF channel 19, DTV channel 10. I remember when this station first signed on the air in 1985, long before DTV. It had a station identification that said, "We're 19. Stereo television for Cleveland . . . and . . . Lake Erie." This tells us this station, which had well over 3 megawatts of ERP before DTV, did cover a large part of the east lakeshore area; however, when it converted to digital, that signal weakened to 9.5 kW ERP, causing all sorts of reception problems east of Cleveland, including where I live. These reception problems on channel 19, and also the FOX affiliate on channel 8, were the reasons I eventually gave up on OTA television and installed a Roku box. Now I can get 8, 19 and every other Cleveland TV station as clearly as I used to get them when TV was all NTSC analog.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-16-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Audiokarma