Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Commercial trades institute vtvm. Anyone familliar?

A number of months ago my lady brought home one of these VT-20 meters covered in rust to the point that the selections and other functions couldn't even be read until a long scotchbrite session allowed me to just barely see what I may select for function and range. Once I established that I found that the thing worked almost spot on. But it was so darned nasty looking that I couldn't see incorporating it onto my bench. Should I yank the tubes and trash it as I have more than enough old meters? I didn't do that, but I threw it out in the shed for the time being.

I started looking on Ebay and found that they are for sale on there quite regularly at very cheap prices. I wound up giving a guy like $12 and he sent me one in near mint condition. The darned thing is as accurate or more accurate than some of my Hickok jewels that I cherish and brag on so much. I always say that nothing beats a good old Simpson 303 or 560 for accuracy and sheer dependability, but this old VT-20 really comes close to the best of analog meters.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these. The model I mention is the only one that I have seen anywhere. I assume that it comes from some school like N.R.I. or the like, but I don't have a clue.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

lots of correspondence school programs would have students build a VTVM for use in later lessons. Many made their own kits, but later on many schools just used Heathkits or Knight kits. I used to have a Devry oscilloscope, that had a VTVM built in.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that Devry scope/vtvm sounds like a neat old piece of equipment. I would bet that no Devry student of today is building anything near that level of craftsmanship and knowldedge of electronics. Programs these days in electronics are far more about the use of PLCs and replacing field devices as needed. Most students are probably lucky to be able to take apart an old Allen Bradly motor starter.

Ive said this before, but it's worth saying again. When I was getting my degree I started bringing in tube type radio and TV chassis from the 40s and 50s and students would gather around me in complete amazement. Some would identify a component or two (like a resistor or cap), but other than that they hadn't a clue. Oddly and perhaps correctly some admitted that the technology was way over their head. Of course none had a days training in anything there other than power supplies.

Simply, we (the world) don't service consumer electronics. Few if any jobs would be generated by such training if it was available. Close studies are always a reality in schools as to the number of grads that obtain employment in their field. So truly studying electronics the way it once was (component level troubleshooting) is more a path to an interesting hobby than a career prospect.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

that Devry Scope is also how I learned to replace power supply caps.. had been using it, then left to give my sister a ride home.. came back to a smoky house with a nasty smell... eventually found I had left it on, and the power transformer burned out.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's always a bummer! Anyway, scanning pray bay I notice these Commercial Trades Institute VTVMs quite often. Hardly ever a bid and always low dollar, but I'm tellin' anyone wanting an accurate, dependable bench/portable VTVM to try one of these. I have all sorts of Hickok, Simpson, etc and I really hate to admit that this little school meter is more accurate than my beloved Hickoks' at least. Now a good Simpson 260 should be in every electronics arsenal. Now my Hickoks' (203, 209, 209A) are much older and have never been restored in any kind of way. I just love the super size meter scale, but they are more iconic I guess than something I would use regularly. They do work and are built like tanks.

Back to Simpson, there may be folks who will contradict my statement on their greatness, but the fact is that they have been making them since around the 40s and they still make shiny new ones today. So there are a ton of them around in all sorts of condition. I think mine is a model from the 90s and really works great. I guess I should add that they (Simpson 260s) aren't VTVMs, so I may be misleading not saying that. Their VTVM was a 303 which I am pretty sure they don't make anymore, but can be found fairly easily for a reasonable price.