Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2023, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Repairing an old Rooftop Antenna

Hello everyone, I recently bought a house that was built in 1921 and its about 85%-90% original inside (all of the original stained oak trim and doors are still intact inside, the original oak floors are still intact, but were covered under old carpet which I tore out to reveal the original oak floors which are still in nice shape yet), and the original windows are still intact.

Anyways The house has on the roof an old TV Antenna that was probably installed by the original owners of the house in the 1970s but unfortunately the 300 Ohm to 75 0hm Adaptor that went between the antenna and the coaxial cable going into the house had broke off the antenna at some point in time in the antenna's history (because the wires either got corroded or were chewed on by rodents) and I really want to be able to utilize this antenna again if at all possible but I'm not sure if that will be possible or what all I would need to repair this antenna to make is usable again.

Another thing about this antenna and my house is that my property only has 2 trees on it that are taller than my house, the other two trees on my property are either shorter than my house or the same size as my house and next to my house to the east of me is an empty lot with no trees whatsoever on it, so I'm kind of concerned about lightning hitting my antenna if I were to try to utilize it again, so what would I need to use to make the antenna so that lightning wouldn't target it if it were to strike nearby and damage my TVs?

Also Is there anyway to fit a rotor to an antenna that never had one before, and if so how does one hook it up and where would one get an antenna rotor these days? I know I can go to just about any antique shop near me and find an antenna rotor control module for about $5 and some change but I don't understand how they wire up to the rotor itself or where one might get an antenna rotor assembly.

Thanks for your help in this matter.