Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

1955 Admiral 19a2 chassis info

Hello all, by chance I got this tv yesterday and can't find any info on it (or the RCA i got it with, but that will be in another thread). The chassis number is 19a2. This is a really neat tv and is my first tube set. I've been looking for a capacitor list rather than sitting for hours writing down every cap. It really is a beautiful tv but there's hardly any info on it.

Are Admiral TVs any good? When my dad saw this thing he did a "so so" gesture with his hand, of course his father was a tv technician with a heavy bias towards Zenith.

Any info on this would be great!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Also, at what voltage on a variac does the picture tube come on? I was running this on a variac to just see what it does.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:17 PM
M is for Memory

It is listed in Sam's 271-1. I may or may not have a duplicate.

Most admiral sets were easy to restore, decent performers, and reasonable reliable...Good starter resto sets.

Variac voltage for picture depends on the chassis number and its condition*...Bring it up slowly till you hit 117V or signs of trouble are noticed. If you get a pix you get a pix....

*Heck I had a 14T series GE portable with an open lead in the deflection. Before and after recap it had no raster...After the resto I eventually cranked my variac to 140V (pro tip: never do that to a set with the original caps still in it ) and got a raster.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I messaged someone on ebay with the service manual to see if it had all that was needed. $6 sure beats $22.

I cranked this baby up all the way on the variac slowly (treated it like an old tube amp), and no luck. All the tubes light up, and the rear of the picture tube lights up, but the screen itself has no life. If the pic tube is dead there's nothing to do but put in another crt tv.. I don't want to ruin it like that.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually I got the picture tube to light up, but once the tv heats up the tube goes out. Either way it needs a good recapping.
Audiokarma