Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Chromacolor 2.

Check out this bargain. A working 1977 Zenith Chromacolor 2 that looks like it's been left outside since 1978. The only reason the sides haven't deteriorated is because they're plastic. And only $395.00! If anything, I would say this set is a testament to Zenith quality in its current condition.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-25-col....c100651.m4497
Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 PM
David Thomas

The Quality went in before the rain got on.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post
The Quality went in before the rain got on.
LOL !!!
Well it does have a good jug........
If someone showed up at the shop with this mess we probably wouldnt
take it in. Chassis must covered with rust.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Just put on another top made out of actual wood and it'll be as right as rain.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:28 PM
M is for Memory

I recall years ago reading a story on here that a CCII was left on in a house fire and the breaker remained powered. The speaker cone burned and there was so much soot on the screen it looked like it was off but a faint flicker prompted a firefighter to wipe the screen...Beneath the thick soot was a perfect picture on the screen...
CCII: if the caps don't die and nothing goes intermittent they may still be working 300 years from now.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Audiokarma
Old 02-17-2018, 09:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I recall years ago reading a story on here that a CCII was left on in a house fire and the breaker remained powered. The speaker cone burned and there was so much soot on the screen it looked like it was off but a faint flicker prompted a firefighter to wipe the screen...Beneath the thick soot was a perfect picture on the screen...
CCII: if the caps don't die and nothing goes intermittent they may still be working 300 years from now.
In my younger days I was a special cop. We took a call for a welfare
check on an old man. Found him crispy in his rocker in front of the
TV with Lets Make A Deal playing. It had been on for months. I took one
look at it and said "of course, its a Zenith". Brought the house down.
Being an unattended death someone had to stay with the stiff til
the coroner arrived. Guess who ???

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
In my younger days I was a special cop. We took a call for a welfare
check on an old man. Found him crispy in his rocker in front of the
TV with Lets Make A Deal playing. It had been on for months. I took one
look at it and said "of course, its a Zenith". Brought the house down.
Being an unattended death someone had to stay with the stiff til
the coroner arrived. Guess who ???

73 Zeno
LFOD !
That's the way to go, in the rocker watching TV.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 PM
sampson159

had a service call back in mid 80s on a zenith chromacolor with a dark,dim picture and intermittent shut off issues.got to the trailer and in 95 degree weather outside,there was no ac,fans or any cooling devices in the home.the set had a thick blanket covering the top and draped across the back of the set.it had to be at least 110 to 115 degrees in there.i turned the set on and the picture was hardly visible.running my fingers across the screen indicated there was an extremely thick coat of nicotine and smoke from what i guess was a kerosene heater.she said the set was on 24/7 because she need the sound to help her sleep.removing the blanket cured the shut off issue although i had to replace the oval cap about 6 months later.i scrubbed the screen for a good 30 minutes to get all the residue off and used car wax to keep it easy for her to wipe off.the set also had the back right up against the front window and it was blazing hot.as i recall she had it another few years and traded it for a newer zenith system 3.1 year later,it died a painful death.the blanket was back and again she never cleaned the screen,etc.her old zenith went home with me and it sits in my bedroom beside my nib xl100,bicentennial magnavox and ctc 15.those chromacolors never die.after 42 years,i can turn it on and get a clear,sharp picture on the original crt.

Last edited by sampson159; 02-20-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 PM
David Thomas

Sometimes water damage won't affect things. I remember a customer coming by the shop one day and gave us a 25" Magnavox table model (I think it was a C9 chassis) that he found in the creek near his house. He had taken it home and left it outside in the sun for a few days, but his wife was afraid of it and wouldn't let him bring it in the house.

I sat it under the workbench, and planned to give it to the junk man when he came by. A few weeks later we had a slow day, and I put it on the bench and took it apart. The chassis was pretty much caked with dirt, so I blew it off with compressed air and fired it up. It worked flawlessly.

I cleaned up the outside of the cabinet, brought it home with me, and watched it daily for several years. I gave it to a friend when I upgraded to a 32" set, and he watched it daily for years. I don't know what become of it, but it lasted at least 12 years after being submersed in muddy water.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:29 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Hearing all these stories of Zeniths surviving in ridiculous environments makes me scratch my head. As of late, I have had an EXTREMELY hard time keeping my Zeniths working. I fix one problem, and within hours, another completely different problem appears. And they're ALL like that. My RCA's on the other hand almost never break. My CTC-31, which I've watched almost every day since December 9th, has not yet had a single problem.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Hearing all these stories of Zeniths surviving in ridiculous environments makes me scratch my head. As of late, I have had an EXTREMELY hard time keeping my Zeniths working. I fix one problem, and within hours, another completely different problem appears. And they're ALL like that. My RCA's on the other hand almost never break. My CTC-31, which I've watched almost every day since December 9th, has not yet had a single problem.
That doesn't seem right; in fact, I am very surprised to hear this about Zenith television sets. As well made as Zenith TVs were until Goldstar took over the company, I would have thought (and in fact did think for years and decades) Zeniths would be the most trouble-free sets around. I had a Zenith 12" solid-state b&w portable TV that lasted 22 years (1978-2000) that gave me no trouble at all, and had a very bright CRT the entire time I owned it. I got rid of it in 2000 after I moved here simply because I had no room for three TVs (I had brought one color set with me from my former home and had bought a new RCA 19" one; the one I brought with me was a Zenith Sentry 2 which still works almost as well as when it was new). It wouldn't have surprised me if whomever got that set after I set it out for the trash had a few more good years of use from it.

How old (or recent) are your Zenith TVs? Zenith didn't start going downhill until the late 1980s and nineties, as I said, when GS bought the company and they left Chicago for Korea. Zenith used to be my all-time favorite brand of TV, audio and stereo gear (I had a 4-mode Zenith stereo system, made in Korea, that lasted 17 years, and I also owned two Zenith 13" portable color sets that lasted over 15 years and were still working when I got rid of them when I moved 18 years ago), but now, I'm not sure. When Zenith went from hand-wiring to PC board modules, I'm sure that was the beginning of their undoing; from there, it just went from bad to worse.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-20-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:05 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My oldest Zeniths are two 1963 25LC20 roundies, neither of which are functional at this time. One has a bizzare vertical issue that I have yet to figure out, and the other has a burned up flyback. Next is my 1968 20Y1C50 set, it has a very annoying brightness issue that causes the screen to be super bright for 10-15 minutes. After that, it slowly gets back to normal. It doesn't really have a great picture anyway, even with a Chromacolor tube. Next, my two 25DC56 flat chassis sets, one has a dead CRT and a vertical rolling problem, and the other works good, but it needed extensive repair. Next is my 1982 System 3 which has cracked solder joints on the customer control board.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-01-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Motorola Minion

RCA's are easier to repair than Zenith due mainly to the tighter circuit tolerances. RCA's just need repairs way more often.

I have to admit, I was stumped by way more Zeniths when I was starting out collecting. I brought back many sets found in our numerous rural farm trash piles, always at the property lines, in a grove of trees.

A 20XC38 with a 22" CRT was my first color Zenith to "work on", I never got the chroma to work, trying tubes and reflow soldering. Meanwhile I was able to make an RCA CTC16 and a dump-found Philco 17KT50 color look fantastic with less effort.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Motorola Minion

RCA's are easier to repair than Zenith due mainly to the tighter circuit tolerances. Zenith's highly-refined circuits are reliable but way more finicky and unpredictable than RCA's which simply need repairs more often.

I have to admit, I was stumped by way more Zeniths when I was starting out collecting. I brought back many sets found in our numerous rural farm trash piles, always at the property lines, in a grove of trees.

A 20XC38 with a 22" CRT was my first color Zenith to "work on", I never got the chroma to work, trying tubes and reflow soldering. Meanwhile I was able to make an RCA CTC16 and a dump-found Philco 17KT50 color look fantastic with less effort.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 02-28-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Double post -edit