Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Gotta agree with you, but hobbies rarely make much sense.
Especally financially! At least old TV's are easy to find and
restoration is mostly labor.
Steve
i wish they where easy to find in northern indiana , you ask people if they have any old tv's first thing they show you is something from the late 90's . and if tell them your looking for tv's from the 60's or 50's they look at you like your crazzy, they had tv in the 60's puzzeled look . and if you ask for tv's that use tube's they point at the picture tube . esp craigslist they list a tv as a tube tv, and you look and it's a tv from 2005 or something like that .
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

This hobby ain't so crazy. There are guys who collect washers, dryers, and stoves. There are no table models of those.

Come to think of it, a cool mix would be a B&W roundie operating TV built into a dryer...should be an option to have the picture spin around (electronically, of course.)

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
This hobby ain't so crazy. There are guys who collect washers, dryers, and stoves. There are no table models of those.

Come to think of it, a cool mix would be a B&W roundie operating TV built into a dryer...should be an option to have the picture spin around (electronically, of course.)
L.O.L
Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
yes.... I'm new (just registered THIS morning actually)

It starts with ONE set, that your Dad gave you 15 years ago. THEN, you lose your Dad :-( ...but find out that he had a small COLLECTION of the little TVs.

You schlep them all back to San Diego from LA to keep the rest of the family from just TOSSING them. You have to buy a little plastic shelving unit from Target, and engineer some power strips so the sets will run all in one place just for shock value. THEN you decide you want ALL of them to come on with the simple push of a remote X10 switch.....for even MORE shock value.

Before you know it, you are learning to "care and feed" the sets that get sick.... and then you buy ANOTHER shelving unit, because you became enamored by some particular design and now have TWELVE of those. One day you look up, and realize you could light the apartment with JUST the cool glow of almost 50 little 2"-5" CRTs. Just when you think "This is silly, I don't even speak Spanish", you read about someone making their OWN little TV station in the house JUST for this sort of collection.

You KNOW it's too late when you are walking the swap meet....and realize you ONLY went there with a single image to look for. The unmistakeable shape of a 5" gray CRT peering out from among someone's junk. You've GOTTA look.....and in the case of the little Sony 8-301 I just found Sunday, you've GOTTA have it. The thought of something so cool just being tossed away and being GONE....or not KNOWING if this set is alive or not, needs some minor tweaking, or is going to turn you into a different form of collector....like maybe you go find the SAMS photofact and decide to restore something, and not just look at it.

I have like FIFTY of these little TV sets now...from like a dozen less than six months ago. Good thing my "alternative" lifestyle will never piss off any wife :-)

Last edited by AiboPet; 05-29-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I have like FIFTY of these little TV sets now...from like a dozen less than six months ago. Good thing my "alternative" lifestyle will never piss off any wife :-)
Great story and keep at it, you're in good company here. More honest technical help than you could ever use!

BTW, my wife was well aware of my collection when we met. we used to dance to 78 RPM records played on my 1934 Philco "house rocker"
Audiokarma
Old 05-29-2012, 01:55 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I wish I had room for "consoles" like the sort that would play records. I would end up buying roundies or something, and becoming familiar with tubes. I've lately caught myself going DAYS without even turning on the big 55" Samsung LCD set.....because I'd rather the small and comfy little sound and pic of the little 5" Sanyo color set on the coffee table.

Having always been a videophile of sorts.....I can't even IMAGINE saying that ten years ago.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky Dink View Post
Vintage TV Restoration is Insane
Yes, and this is a problem how?

MUCH more fun than stamps or something like that, I think.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."