Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Ol' Sarge

Location: Undisclosable air base location somewhere in the middle east
New Member! Just discovered this part of AK

Hello all! I've spent the past couple of years in the McIntosh Audio forum, I never checked out the others! Wish I had found y'all sooner. I'm in the Air Force, currently in Kyrgyzstan. I've restored a Hallicrafters S-38 and had lots of fun doing it. I FOUND that S-38 in a utility room in one of the hangars at MacDill AFB several years ago. It was very rusty and no one thought I would ever get it to work. Next on the bench is a Detrola 147, then a Zenith TO H500. After that....
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Dude!

You need to get out & about more!

Tons of great stuff in AK.

Currently typing sitting between a Hammarlund HQ-180 and a Hallicrafters SX-110.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, yeah, baby !! We're WAY more fun than those dum ol' Audiophools...<grin> Just kiddin' guys... S-38, huh? Pretty basic set. Glorified All-American fiver. But they made 'em from like 1938 til '61 or so, in several different variations. And they DID send countless boys-an' girls-into the majical land of Shortwave. A nice step up from an S-38 would be an SX-25, SX-71, National NC-98, NC-125. An' if you're pokin' around some other "junk room" & find a rather forlorn large tube set that says "R-725/URR" on it, GRAB IT. I think the Air Force used those...a modified version of an R-390A.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Ol' Sarge

Location: Undisclosable air base location somewhere in the middle east
Hiya Sandy G!!

Seen you around on the Mc forum...what car is that in your avatar? I remember seeing a very large old radio set of some sort in one of the storage buildings on base but I wasn't in a position to make the grab; I'm going to see if I can get one of my guys back home to go check it out, otherwise I'll have to wait till May to see.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That car is a 1967 Lincoln Continental convertible sedan. That was the last year they made them, 2276 examples made. They have the distinction of being the last 4-door convertibles made in the USA, & the last ones made w/"suicide doors". Lincoln achieved a bit of infamy as being the car that President Kennedy was riding in when he was assasinated in Dallas in 1963.