Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tesla model 4001

Does anyone else have a Tesla TV? This is a Tesla 4001av sitting on a Magnavox 10" AM/FM/TV/Phono console.

I think the Tesla 4001 is the first model of TV made in Czechoslovakia. So says the article SDELOVACI TECHNIKA.

The article is very long and in the Czech language but here is a description of the TV, badly translated. I have the article and a service manual copy. needs scanned.

Linear ("TRF" tuner with bandpass stages following, then a detector) TV receiver for 1st TV channel with intermediate sound system 6.5 MHz powered from AC net 120-220V/50Hz. Direct sychronisation, round picture tube 25 cm, wooden cabinet, paper back and bottom covers, picture size controls on left side, electromagnetic focus. Version 4001A-b and 4001A-c have switch for switching off picture circuits for receiving only TV sound. First Czechoslovakia TV receiver, when TV broadcasting was started in 1. 5. 1953. It would have used the system that became PAL I think.

My friend from Czech Republic says the old color TV sets reverted to a red tint when monochrome programs were shown. Don't ask me, I have no color set from the old country!

What do you guys think of the TV set? The cabinet itself is a fine craftsman's work, truly lustrous and beautifully made and very heavy. Last time I had it on, maybe 15 years ago, it had a very compressed vertical sweep on the screen; no harm done at low brightness and I was able to feed modulated RF in and see the artifacts on the scan. I have not worked with it having no proper generator.

I was told by my Czech friend that the TV has only need of two channels because the country is small and the two powerful stations covered it back then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tesla_4001av_s.jpg (95.3 KB, 126 views)

No Kowtow

Last edited by Opcom; 07-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.