Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sources for new classic-style rabbit ear antennas...?

Seems like it was only a year or two ago when the local Wal*Mart, K-Mart, RadioShack, and hardware stores still offered a basic, classic-style "rabbit-ears" TV antenna. You know the kind. These had a typical classic ball-shaped base, usually were made of black or brown plastic, and were either designed for VHF-only or had a simple UHF loop sprouting behind the rabbit ears. They were also quite cheap too, usually only a couple of bucks, and packaged in a plain plastic bag. I seem to recall seeing the Gemini name on most of them.

More recently, I was looking for one or two of them for display with my old TVs, and couldn't find any. Sure, you can get modern-looking dipole indoor antennas, but I couldn't find any of the plain-ol' classic ball-style ones.

After pretty much giving up, I stumbled on some at a local "Deal$" store (one of those "dollar"-type stores). These were made in China and the packaging was branded "Pakcell". The base is made of a rather thin and soft black plastic and it does have a UHF loop. The base was obviously moulded with 300 ohm flat twinlead in mind, but these antennas had a 75 ohm coax cable crammed through the slot in back of the base instead. [...and said cable was wired without any sort of matching network at all, I might add...] In any case, I tossed the coax and rewired it with 300 ohm twinlead (with separate cables for VHF and UHF). Mind you, this antenna is not particularly well made (though the VHF antenna rods telescope pretty nicely), but for a dollar, eh, it'll do.

So, if anyone else out there has been looking for plain-old rabbit ears to display (or use) on top of a classic TV, and you've got a Deal$ store nearby, you might check there.

Has anyone else seen indoor TV antennas at stores lately that would look acceptable with a classic/vintage television set? Other suggestions?

NOTE: I have noticed that RadioShack still offers that big brass-colored dual-bowtie UHF indoor antenna that they've carried for ages, though now they have re-named it an "HDTV" antenna. Funny how HDTV has rekindled the interest in UHF indoor antennas...

BTW, while searching the web for something along these lines, I found the following article on tacky TV antennas...
http://www.tackyliving.com/article.php?id=61
Old 04-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Don't drive angry

Here you can get 'em at Lowes
Old 04-09-2005, 09:03 PM
auscultator inveterasco

I keep finding them at thrift stores. I even have one with the original Saturn tips. And an RCA one IIRC.
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
hotrod54chevy

ebay has authentic old ones from time to time,including bakelite